FreeBSD 12 on Raspberry Pi 3B .... questions

So I installed the BETA3 image on a new Pi 3B (no plus). It left a number of questions
  • Console speed was 115200 - the wiki says 9600. Is that a 3B only thing?
  • File system layout is an msdosfs for /boot/msdos, and a ufs for /. Nothing else. The root fs did NOT have noatime set. Is that on purpose?
  • Does that system anything to accomodate the fact that it runs on some crappy flash card? If so, what? If not - what can I do?
  • If I wanted to change the layout to one with a separate / and /usr - can I just put the flash card into another BSD system, tar the file systems, wipe the card, create my new layout, restore the files from tar (including device files I guess) and adjust fstab as needed ? Or are there hidden traps I have to expect? What about those strange device files for the volumes - will they come up automatically, or do I have to create them?
  • my display keeps eating most of the leftmost character in each line. I tried the solution given elsewhere around here with setting the oversacn variables in config.txt, but that does not seem to have any effect. Ideas?

Is that a 3B only thing?
No FreeBSD now uses 115200 as the default console baud across the board.

Does that system anything to accomodate the fact that it runs on some crappy flash card?
Checkout fstab for tmpfs. It moves /tmp to a memory disk to help prevent premature card wear.

If I wanted to change the layout to one with a separate / and /usr - can I just put the flash card into another BSD system
When I compile a kernel on ARM I move the entire /usr/src and usc/obj to a USB drive. Simply partition USB drive and run newfs, create directories and move it over. Then I make a fstab entry so the system knows where to find it.
Yes you can do the copying on another machine with the proper permissions.
What about those strange device files for the volumes - will they come up automatically, or do I have to create them?
I don't know what this is. All device files live in /dev and you shouldn't move those.
This script helped me understand what needs copying. It copies an install from microSD card to the eMMC onboard the BBB.
https://github.com/freebsd/crochet/blob/master/board/BeagleBone/overlay/root/copy-to-emmc.sh

my display keeps eating most of the leftmost character in each line. I tried the solution given elsewhere around here with setting the oversacn variables in config.txt, but that does not seem to have any effect. Ideas?
No I am facing that right now on an Intel board. So its not unique to ARM.

Hello,

Checkout fstab for tmpfs. It moves /tmp to a memory disk to help prevent premature card wear.
Yep, I saw that. What about the missing NOATIME? Is there a reason for that? Without it every single read on a file generates an update to its inode - with certain popular files a guranteed way to wear out that SD card...

(... on the strange device files ...)
I don't know what this is. All device files live in /dev and you shouldn't move those.
I am used to volume devices looking like /dev/sda0s1a, or /dev/ada0p3
Now we suddenly have device files like
/dev/ufs/rootfs
/dev/msdosfs/MSDOSBOOT

And I checked these - they are not just hard links to /dev/mmcsd0s2a and /dev/mmcsd0s1 respectively. They have different device numbers. So - what is that? And how would another filesystem I would use look like?

( ... on the non-fitting display ...)
No I am facing that right now on an Intel board. So its not unique to ARM.
Yeah, but the Raspberry guys provide a fix for it in config.txt. Question is, why does that fix not work and what can I do to make that fix work?

(Edit - that question is now kinda moot because that 10'' display diesd after eight hard hours of showing a Pi console and is on its way back to Jeff Bezos. We'll see what the next one does...)

Back