Solved Web failure after Parallels change

The prompt the disappeared about an hour ago without me changing a thing (I know they all say that, but I was busy cooking and eating, barely touching the computer at all!).

So I have attempted to fix these symptoms of the presumably deeper underlying problem by putting hostname="FreeBSD" in my /etc/rc.conf.

"Network unreachable" hints at a broken routing table, something quite well explained in chapter 11.5 of the FreeBSD handbook.

So simply determine your gateway and set up a defaultrouter="" entry in /etc/rc.conf. Or use the route command I suppose.

So, I had a look at the network configuration in macOS (the host OS) and found that the router address was given as 192.168.1.254. So, I put defaultrouter="192.168.1.254" in my /etc/rc.conf.

This didn't work, so I'm wondering if the 192.168.1.254 has an equivalent 10.*.*.* address within the FreeBSD address space. I am working at the outer limits of my understanding here, don't forget!

Based on one of your earlier posts, I suspect 10.211.55.1 is the gateway for your VM. Set defaultrouter="10.211.55.1" and reboot.

Thanks! I'll try that now. Just so that I can learn something from this exercise, which post, and what's your thinking about it?

Based on one of your earlier posts, I suspect 10.211.55.1 is the gateway for your VM. Set defaultrouter="10.211.55.1" and reboot.

Cheers mate! That worked. Was the giveaway post, https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/web-failure-after-parallels-change.65231/post-382261 where I revealed the contents of /etc/resolv.conf?

I'm so chuffed with this answer. I thought I was going to be stuck for days possibly. Now to do a backup of my virtual machine!!

Next time you're in London, I'll buy you a beer!

As a side-note: all of this could have been fully clear to you from studying the FreeBSD handbook; it explains all these basic aspects just for that reason.

Back