What are your thoughts on this article?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say currently BSDs have never been better,
In terms of users getting better at configuring their systems, code that is in the works (drivers for instance, oss, sndio, less dependence on binutils), and information being shared.

I would rather write 'Linux is dying ...', look what is happening because of systemd ... two Linux worlds co-exist today ...
Linux that uses systemd is harming it enough.

Hume The only "thing" too niche and irrelevant here is you, and you're about to vanish sooner than FreeBSD. Enjoy your dinner, don't choke today :D
He's not that wrong. FreeBSD is not dying, of course, but Linux dominates the server market and can be used for scientific computing thanks to CUDA being supported. FreeBSD had the advantage of ZFS, (DTrace seem to be considered irrilevant...) but now that Linux is getting a better and better support for it how could you convince someone that already made some investments to change? No one has doubts (at least here :D) about FreeBSD's advantages (coherecnce, organization...), but history teach us that too often is averageness that goes on...
Now, if we add the still unpatched Meltdown and Spectre flaws how do you think that FreeBSD will be perceived? And ASLR? All others security enhancements added in HardenedBSD?

It has been a MASSIVE struggle to use FreeBSD for the projects I have setup over the past few years.
When you don't know what you're doing I would think so. This isn't an issue for the rest of us.

Let's not feed the trolls.
Linux dominates the server market and can be used for scientific computing thanks to CUDA being supported.
One has never needed CUDA to do scientific computing. CUDA is just another tool to use.
if we add the still unpatched Meltdown and Spectre flaws how do you think that FreeBSD will be perceived?
Committed yesterday.

We are actively deleting troll accounts from the same IP address, so there may be some holes in threads. Sorry. Not sorry.
I hope you don't consider me as troll because of my terrible english (I remember a time you edit any post on this forum to correct thing like freebsd to FreeBSD :D). For my surprise, I don't think people even making clones to feed each other, trolling, spamming... on a technical forum like yours.

Struck by the small number of reported BSD kernel vulnerabilities compared to Linux, van Sprundel sat down last summer and reviewed BSD source code in his spare time. "How come there are only a handful of BSD security kernel bugs advisories released every year?" he wanted to know. Is it because the BSDs are so much more secure? Or is it because no one is looking?

van Sprundel says he easily found around 115 kernel bugs across the three BSDs, including 30 for FreeBSD, 25 for OpenBSD, and 60 for NetBSD. Many of these bugs he called "low-hanging fruit." He promptly reported all the bugs, but six months later, at the time of his talk, many remained unpatched.
What he wrote, in the link, there are always bugs anywhere - maybe many more in the larger other OSes.

It's like playing whack-a-mole.

Enough's been said already on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back