Solved .. FreeBSD 11.1 Crash

I had a Mac Mini Intel not doing much so I decided to make it a FreeBSD desktop.
I installed 11.1 using usb stick using the amd option since the documentation seem to indicate that that this was better choices with more then 4 g of RAM

I tried install Xorg from ports and got a panic baed on a page fault

then i got another crash with

Code:
savecore:rebbot after panic  Uknown  caching mode 247
savecore writing core to /var/crash/vmcore.4
Unable tro find matching kernel for /var/crash/vmcore.4

The vmcore files are all empty

Any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated

"Core 2 Duo" = amd64
"Core Duo" = i386
So you choose right if you run amd64.

I can't find the Nvidia 9400 chipset in the Hardware compatibility list and not in the Graphics Wiki either and I've never used a Mac Mini or nVidia graphics. Though I think a lot of people run FreeBSD on them and I might misinterpret those. Marketing names and chip names can be confusing.

Unable tro find matching kernel for /var/crash/vmcore.4
I've never seen this message before...
What does uname -a show?

Weird crashes often relate to RAM issues. So if you run FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE, the only thing I can advice is a good old MEMTEST86 run.

How can the OP check the uname -a output, or even install a proprietary driver, when the boot process stops like he described in his posts?

How can the OP check the uname -a output, or even install a proprietary driver, when the boot process stops like he described in his posts?
doesn't stop it reboots .. I often have time of what appears to be a stable system

So you choose right if you run amd64.

Nice to hear I did SOMETHING right

I've never seen this message before...
What does uname -a show
FreeBSD lionfish.kasdivi.doomdns.com 11.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE #0 r321309: Fri Jul 21 02:08:28 UTC 2017 root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

Weird crashes often relate to RAM issues. So if you run FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE, the only thing I can advice is a good old MEMTEST86 run.
MEMTEST does not appear to be on my machine Gives a
Code:
command not found
response and locate doesn't find it in an updated database

Oh One thing i did not do right is overwrote disk so I now have a fresh installation again. The sins of past errors are therefore gone

svnlite co https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.1 /usr/src

Or simply use the package; pkg install nvidia-driver-340

You fetch the sources like this:
# svnlite checkout https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.1 /usr/src/

Sorry, for not explaining MEMTEST86. It's an old tool (almost from stoneage) you can still download as .iso from the internet. Just google for 'memtest86' and burn it to a cd, then boot of it.
It's not neccesarily bad RAM causing the crashes on your Mac Mini but it's worth to check your RAM is ok.

Puts me in a quandry... I traditionally use ports but ike i said its pretty much a fresh install and I did have problems with ports that last go around

If you're going to stick to the default settings any way you might as well use the packages. That will save you a lot of time and effort. Building from ports is really only interesting if you want/need to deviate from the defaults. Back in the old days it made more sense to use the ports because of the way packages were handled. Since PKGNG this changed however.

Thanks to SirDice and k.jacker I was able to load Xorg and KDE4 using pkg on my Desktop Next goal getting KDE4 to work

Back