Solved Can not boot to Windows

I'm a retired Windows programmer and would like to learn FreeBSD while I have the time.

So I have installed FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso on the third partition of my Vista notebook (which I created while in Windows). FreeBSD boots fine but since I do not know much of it I would like to have access to my Vista. I expect that a decent OS must give me the choice at the start but I just can't figure it out.

So please would you be so kind as to tell me which button to press so to get access to a nice menu with the choice of operating systems installed on my machine?

Boot the Windows recovery CD. The installation of FreeBSD most likely overwrote the MBR, removing the Windows MBR.

So please would you be so kind as to tell me which button to press so to get access to a nice menu with the choice of operating systems installed on my machine?
If you installed boot0cfg(8) you would have seen the menu every time you booted. There's no "magic" key involved. But because you don't see it I'm guessing you didn't choose to install the bootmanager.

Boot the Windows recovery CD. The installation of FreeBSD most likely overwrote the MBR, removing the Windows MBR.

I do not mind FreeBSD controlling the MBR as long as it lets me boot to the other OS.

If you installed boot0cfg(8) you would have seen the menu every time you booted. There's no "magic" key involved. But because you don't see it I'm guessing you didn't choose to install the bootmanager.

I just followed the instructions in the handbook. There's nothing about boot0cfg(8) in it. :)
And I haven't seen a Windows notebook shipped with a recovery CD in ages. Probably because there's no need in one unless you try to install FreeBSD. :)

Ok! looks like I have to find the way out of this ... myself.

Back