Fresh FreeBSD 11 on Raspberry Pi 2

Hi folks.

I just got this OS onto my Raspberry Pi 2 box. Neato.

It has no ports, it has no bash, it has nothing, really. According to my notes, I use the ports package manager to install shells/bash and all that stuff. But I don't have ports. I can't even use sudo(8). Confusing.

So I'm lost as to how to get through this beginning. Any advice?

Also, root/root doesn't work from over the Ethernets. Can I change this somehow? Works on the box, not on the LAN.

Cheers

It has no ports, it has no bash, it has nothing, really. According to my notes, I use the ports package manager to install bash and all that schtuff. But I don't have ports. I can't even use sudo. Confusing.
Just use pkg(8) e.g. pkg install bash sudo. You really don't want to use ports on a Raspberry Pi unless you have lots of patience.

Also, root/root doesn't work from over the Ethernets. Can I change this somehow? Works on the box, not on the LAN.
Set PermitRootLogin yes in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. It's disabled by default. Better create a user and login with that after you setup sudo correctly though.

I agree that ports on the native device is a slow process. But it is good for fundamentals. Use at least 16GB card.
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-using.html
The fact is lots of stuff needs hand work so I think it is best. Also I find many autobuilds use minimal make options so sometimes you need to custom make. I have used Poudiere but that is an entire learning experience in itself.

So I'm lost as to how to get through this beginning. Any advice?
You really don't say where you want to end up.
Software learning experience or robot street-sweeper.
If your trying for an xorg desktop then look at some threads in the embedded section.
I have xorg with openbox and USB wifi, cellular data via mpd5 and gps humming along.
I am looking at driving a RC motor ESC(engine controller) from a PWM/GPIO pin next.
So it all depends what your vision is.

Sorry, I didn't see this posted. I got it going. I wanted to install RVM, Ruby and perhaps nginx, maybe futz around with some sensors, do some web services.

I don't use Linux.

You specifically mentioned not having Bash. Bash is the standard system shell on Linux, but not utilized by BSD/OS X/Solaris system processes (though you can certainly install it as your user shell). Hence the presumption that you'd used Linux until now. ;)

Back