Solved iKare keyboard layout. How to make it for FreeBSD?

http://www.ixove.com/ikare
The question is How to make iKare layout for FreeBSD?

iKare-layout.png

iKare Keyboard Layout is derived from qwerty. The right ring finger easily exhausts when we use qwerty layout keyboards for a long time typing. Because O L are frequent letters in English. O L is moved to middle finger zone on iKare layout keyboards. Middle fingers are much stronger than ring fingers. So iKare layout keyboards can alleviate the hurt to your right hand fingers.
It is compatible to qwerty layout. You know most of shortcuts are on the left hand zone of qwerty layout.

Last edited:
If its not in xorg.conf , I have no idea. xorg.conf was the place to add fonts, so that might be related. FreeBSD changed so much, I don't know how to configure it anymore, xorg just works on its own. I even saw comments here, that they weren't sure if the xorg.conf file was needed any more.

You can check xorg.conf(5). There's also a command, something like X -configure. I'm not sure of the exact command, that generates xorg.conf.new; then it has to be renamed and put in the proper location.

Did you get the keyboard option to work for the console?

Files for specific layouts for Xorg are typically in directory /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/symbols. You can take a look at the one in /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us for US layout. It is a good idea to use one of the variants there, because you could lose some keys. Such layouts are modular and can be overlapped with others or modified slightly (e.g. there a minor modifications like the ones in /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/symbols/capslock (you might want to take a look at [FONT=Courier New]swapescape[/FONT] there, which is interesting for editors/vim users).

I have made my own keyboard layout which adapts a German keyboard to be more usable for software development. It is basically US layout ontop of a German keyboard with some easier-to-access Umlauts and lot of more features to maximize the possibilities to enter all kinds of symbols (but also minimize the custom definition with maximally reused modifications). You can take it as an example how to modify such a layout.

Back