2014 Forums Migration To Xenforo

As a newcomer I think the preview function is very helpful. It might make sense to spend a button for it to make it more obvious because it will eat up just a little of the valuable space. Hopefully it might motivate newcomers like myself to review the output of their typing. At the end this could reduce the number of posts which are subject to be re-formatted by the moderators. Now I just hope that this posting is o.k. :).

I suspected the Post Preview would be in More Options.... That's what I first checked, but I didn't see it for the simple reason that it needs JavaScript, which I always have disabled. Needing JavaScript for such basic features is not very good in my opinion.

By the way, there seems to be a small error in the BB Codes help page. The example for the [noparse] tag should be "Use [file]/etc/rc.conf[/file] to show tag use." instead of "Use /etc/rc.conf to show tag use."

for the simple reason that it needs JavaScript, which I always have disabled. Needing JavaScript for such basic features is not very good in my opinion.
Well, some things are tweakable and some aren't. XenForo looks great and works better (at least it does for us) than pbpBB, but it is indeed rather heavily reliant on JavaScript. As a Dutch prophet once said: "Every advantage has its disadvantage."

bthomson XenForo doesn't support it out of the box, but I have found an add-on for it. I think it's a good feature to have, so I will add it soon.

Update: it is now installed, hopefully it works for you.

Congratulations!

I have only two very very minor complaints:
  1. The "Unread Posts" of the previous forum had the nice ability to dynamically modify the list of posts while you read them. That is to say: you had for example a list of 10 unread posts, you read one of them, then go back and the list showed then 9 posts. Eventually, the list will empty or only show the posts you were not interested in. A click on "Mark Threads Read" (?) and you were done. On the other hand, if you wanted to revisit a read thread, you couldn't if you did not remembered its title, so it's maybe not such a good feature, but it was convenient for me.
  2. On the "Mark (all) Forums Read" button: I'd prefer this link to not ask for confirmation and trust the user.
Best regards.

Last edited:
Juanitou for the first question - "New posts" at /find-new/posts behaves exactly as described for me, so what are you actually suggesting?

As for the second item, this is not configurable, although not impossible to achieve, but I would rather keep the confirmation button there.

Juanitou for the first question - "New posts" at /find-new/posts behaves exactly as described for me, so what are you actually suggesting?
Ah, that's not what I'm seeing here. In the "New posts" page, when I follow the link to a thread, then go back, the thread is still there, untouched, even not marked as read (regular font, not bold). In order to obtain an updated list of unread posts I have to use again the link "New posts", which is not very convenient as it's on the top of the page and I use keyboard to navigate as much as possible. But don't waste your time, I'll adapt.

Another thing I forgot to mention: Are the "Thanks" points obtained through phpBB lost forever?

By the way, thanks again!

Another thing I forgot to mention: Are the "Thanks" points obtained through phpBB lost forever?
We're not sure yet. It looks like somebody will need to write a script for that.

P.S. The "thanks" points were from the vBulletin era, they were not there in phpBB.

Ah, that's not what I'm seeing here. In the "New posts" page, when I follow the link to a thread, then go back, the thread is still there, untouched, even not marked as read (regular font, not bold). In order to obtain an updated list of unread posts I have to use again the link "New posts", which is not very convenient as it's on the top of the page and I use keyboard to navigate as much as possible.

After reading a thread and returning to the new posts list, refresh the page with F5. Read/unread status will be updated. However, new posts that have been created since the New Posts button was used do not appear until that button is used again.

Well, congrats on the new forum. I think its a smart move, I have experience with this software (as a member of another forum) and in general I think it works very nicely indeed.

I did spot one small issue though.. It's very minor but silly nonetheless: in the profile settings you can enter your day of birth and also tell which info is allowed to be shared. There is the option "show day and month of birth" and "show year of birth".

Here's the problem: 'show year of birth' can only be checked when you also checked 'show day and month of birth', which somewhat defeats the purpose of the privacy setting. I have no problem that people know my age (so sharing year of birth), but I don't like the idea of sharing the day and month as well.

And now to try and get the 'new' label off me again ;)

I wonder if anyone else has problems instantly configuring one's settings and/or sending PM's and even if the latter exist. That seems to be working unsmoothly here (Opera browser) vs everything else about the forum...

PMs are called Conversations here. You can send them from a user's profile pop-up (if they allow it, their choice). You can also initiate a Conversation from your own Inbox.

Hi,

HTTP links seem to be broken at least for me at the moment. I tried it in two browsers in case it was a mistake on my part but the same thing happens. Please see Thread 47280 post #17 for example.

EDIT: Oops! I didn't see the announcement. Sorry about the noise.

Is there an option for the user at the moment to change a thread title prefix to Solved? I can't seem to find one.

According to the forum permissions you have the right to edit your own posts. Do you have that option? The Permission Analysis function says that you do, but if I run a Test Permissions pretending to be you, I don't see it. I'm quite confused.

According to the forum permissions you have the right to edit your own posts. Do you have that option? The Permission Analysis function says that you do, but if I run a Test Permissions pretending to be you, I don't see it.. I'm quite confused.
Yep. Other editing options work fine for me. There is just no option to edit the title in either the Default Editor or the BB Code Editor. The option only seems to exist (at least for me) when creating a new thread.

protocelt Do you see any 'thread tools' in the threads that you started? At the top, that is?
D'oh! Yep. It's there, and seems to work as well. I thought I looked at that button before and it didn't have the option, but I guess I must not have. Anyway, thanks a bunch for looking into it and sorry about that.

Back