What’s your favourite new feature from the upcoming 14.0-RELEASE

Re terms 'sleep / wake' vs 'suspend / resume', Graham noting 'wake' not in Handbook:

So it either was removed, indicating defeat -or- it never was there, in which case not waking up after sleep is "implemented as specified". If only Mr Ledger or Mr Jackson had known.

Terminology matters; 'sleep' & 'wake' may have come from M$ &/or Linux &/or Mac, but FreeBSD has always used suspend for ACPI state S3 and resume for, um, S0.

Hence /etc/rc.{suspend,resume}

See also /etc/devd.conf etc ...

It matters precisely because of wild goose chases like this.

But as people use it on laptops as their daily driver, they miss S3/S4.

S4 would be handy, though I get 3 or 4 days suspended in S3 on my T430s, usually enough.

For your A485, I'd suggest a PR and/or asking on the ACPI@ list. I do miss the mobile@ list.

closed, fixed, et cetera.

Closed, fixed.
I can read that. And 13.3 is broken and almost unusable. arc_prune keeps the kernel running 100% and CPU in max-turbo, heating the room while it tries to squeeze the ARC below the configured minimum size.
And this apparently for no reason at all, because it did work before in a well-balanced fashion. Seems we all need to buy 64GB ram now, at least.

I 'm not reading 275594 in detail, but I see <https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=275594#c36>.

Is the fix in stable branches?

… Seems we all need to buy 64GB ram now, at least.

32 here. I'm not aware of the bug biting me.

I 'm not reading 275594 in detail, but I see <https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=275594#c36>.

Is the fix in stable branches?
Okay, thanks. He is talking about "PRERELEASE" - IIRC this is the tag stable gets before the release cycle starts. So that patch should be in BETA1.
Anyway, things don't look good at all. I tried to fix the ARC to 2GB (min-arc = max-arc), but that doesn't work either: 2.4 GB were completely free, inactive squeezed down to minimum, the ARC shrinked to 700MB (far below arc-min), and arc_reclaim running full load.
32 here. I'm not aware of the bug biting me.
On the desktop? Well, that seems to be common nowadays. I have some more memory on shelf, I just didn't see any need to put it in, as the machine did always run good with 8GB.

Now I rebooted, and everything looks nice - there is still 3.3GB free which were never touched. This will change when firefox gets obese over a few days.
Last thing I did was run the Discourse development package - that brings a couple big server jobs and two separate node-js environments - and one would probably want 32G to do smooth development on that. Anyway it did work - but after upgrade to 13.3-BETA1 (when I already had that development package tuned down in size) I noticed arc_prune running frequently - and even after stopping all these processes the system didn't orderly recover.

FWIW - my 14.0-RELEASE laptop with a mere 8GB is working fine.
That's nice... but that made me curious - what are the rest of the specs (Make/model, CPU, and software in use) ?

I had a Lenovo Ideapad 13-ARR with a Ryzen 5 2500U, 8 GB of RAM - and while the Ryzen was fine, 8 GB of RAM was not enough to properly compile ports or run KDE... I had lots of trouble with Firefox, because it would not fit into just 8 GB of RAM together with KDE, which I kind of have to have.

That's nice... but that made me curious - what are the rest of the specs (Make/model, CPU, and software in use) ?

I had a Lenovo Ideapad 13-ARR with a Ryzen 5 2500U, 8 GB of RAM - and while the Ryzen was fine, 8 GB of RAM was not enough to properly compile ports or run KDE... I had lots of trouble with Firefox, because it would not fit into just 8 GB of RAM together with KDE, which I kind of have to have.
i5 Haswell Thinkpad 440p 2.9 GHz w/ 4 logical cores.

The SD card slot was not supported the first few years. Fingerprint reader not supported (don't care). Resume from suspend does not work (don't need it).

I run a minimal system. No DE, just jwm for a window manager. I usually have Iridium, jucipp, and vscode open plus whatever code I'm testing. I prefer packages over ports unless somethng I need in quarterly is broken.

I wrote a program to scrape the *.application files under /usr/local/share to generate the XML menus so I get pretty icons.

Yeah, that does keep things simple, but that's not a Best Practice. Your own LAN is the best place to practice firewall rules, encryption, etc, just to get a handle on how these things even work, and where to look when network packets get stuck.
"Best Practice" is how semi-informed people scare people who have no clue how things work. 99% of web pages don't need to be encrypted, but google won't even index you if you're no serving everything on https. Don;t use telnet, don't use http://, don't ever use eval(), Upgrade your OS every 14 days; it's how Apple makes $billions forcing you buy something new every couple of years.

Why do I need a 12 digit password on my Jack in the Box account? Best practice is to not store your CC info on these accounts. How is having a password so complicated that I have to write it down and carry it in my wallet more secure?

"Best Practice" is how semi-informed people scare people who have no clue how things work. 99% of web pages don't need to be encrypted, but google won't even index you if you're no serving everything on https. Don;t use telnet, don't use http://, don't ever use eval(), Upgrade your OS every 14 days; it's how Apple makes $billions forcing you buy something new every couple of years.

Why do I need a 12 digit password on my Jack in the Box account? Best practice is to not store your CC info on these accounts. How is having a password so complicated that I have to write it down and carry it in my wallet more secure?
"Best Practice" is also the minimum standard that informed people agree should be common sense.

FreeBSD Forums are served over HTTPS, in case you haven't noticed.

Why even have a Jack In The Box account in the first place? Best practice is: If you don't have to have an account somewhere - don't set one up. By now, the very factoid (of somebody's penchant for junk food) is for sale to other companies' marketing departments. And it's not me trying to scare you, it's an unfortunate reality of modern life. 12-digit passwords do very little to prevent the sale of such information, and yes, that's legal, to boot.

Back