What’s your favourite new feature from the upcoming 14.0-RELEASE

I had high hopes for much better support for WiFi, BT and recent CPU architectures (Raptor Lake) but it looks like I'll have to settle for bug fixes only...:rolleyes:

Better sleep/resume on my ThinkPads and better battery life. And of course bugfixes and speed.

What's the status of USBHID, and the newer HID drivers (hgame, hms, hkbd, hpen) on 14.0? I wonder if they have become the default. Also, are there improvements related to the Bluetooth kernel module?

Starting 2024 here all installations are subject to replacement for more energy efficient solutions.
That means a big number of FreeBSD systems won’t make it to RELEASE-14 anyway if there is no improvement in terms of more energy efficiency.

As no announcements for better energy efficiency have been published, my FreeBSD advocacy is likely finding an end. Did I miss anything?

Starting 2024 here all installations are subject to replacement for more energy efficient solutions.
It sounds like Pencil and Paper might be more appropriate for you.

I have never heard of such demands. Is this a government mandate?

This time, I didn't find any "must have" for me. I like some changes like sh as the default shell, dma as the default mailer, deprecation of mergemaster, removal of portsnap, etc ... but have all these in my 13.2 installations (built from source) anyways. Moving to OpenSSL 3 might be relevant for many ... not too much for me, as my base builds don't even include ssh (using OpenSSH from ports) and all my ports are built with LibreSSL. So, this time, I won't be in a hurry moving away from 13.x 😉

Of course, my test machines for ports development already moved to 15-CURRENT 😉

Sorry getopt I did not mean to be such a jerk to you.

I am unfamiliar with any such energy savings requirements or goals.

I am not against efficiency it just seems the term is commonly misappropriated.

To me efficient means buying the proper machine size for the load.

Driver for Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 (ath10k in linux)
I tested beta thats not working.
It not exist in /boot/kernel, I compiled the module and load it and create wlan0,
but I can't connect to my access point! :mad:

Better sleep/resume on my ThinkPads …

… work done to Suspend States …

<https://www.freebsd.org/releases/14.0R/> no relevant mention of sleep, resume, suspend, or wake in the current draft of the release notes.

Phishfry is what's below amongst the commits that you would identify?

nvme: Fix locking protocol violation to fix suspend / resume · freebsd/freebsd-src@001c45a | src 001c45a1229a

Crivens are your cases along the same lines, or (a guess) improvements to ported graphics drivers with DRM capability? Plus, maybe, graphics-related improvements to LinuxKPI in base?

bsdimp emaste@ cperciva@ (maybe not recently seen) and others: if you like, I can add something sleep/wake-related to <https://codeberg.org/grahamperrin/freebsd-doc/pulls/38>.

better for you
To some degree yes. I've got a frame.work notebook with a 13th gen Intel that I could not use with 13.2 because drm-kmod was not supporting it yet. The newest updates were built in a way that they will/do only work with 14 because back porting the changes to linuxkpi would have been a pain.

So, I suppose it's equal in quality but offers a broader hardware selection.

The latter not supported on older than 14.0.
Ha, you're right. I should probably be even more thankful for drm-515-kmod.

In the case of my frame.work notebook, it unfortunately takes a bit more tinkering than just 5.15 - I had to take some enhancements from dumbbell@'s repository and some "vt" changes in base to get things going. That's why I'm still spinning my own base repository on Github at the moment - I wouldn't be able to run without 14, but it still needs something on top (or underneath, if we consider base the foundation) aside from drm-515-kmod to get working.

My current complain is about the Thinkpad A485 (my mobile workstation)
Issue acpiconf -S3
It does not matter if from console or X, the system goes to sleep (breathing power button), short press on that button then turns it hard off. No shut down, no reboot, no resume.

I also have/had problems with the x230 (my travel companion), the IdeaPad3 worked with suspend/resume. I will check with 14 once it is released.

… Thinkpad A485 …

Means nothing to me (no offence; I simply can not guess whether it's modern or archaic, and so on).

… sleep (breathing power button), short press on that button then turns it hard off. No shut down, no reboot, no resume. …

Crivens I have thoughts about possible cause(s), but I don't want to derail this topic. Would you like to start a new one, or point me in the right direction? Thanks

Back