Back to debian

I'm amused by people who use BSD or Linux as a desktop,. Used iMACs are cheaper than a good monitor and you don't have to spend your days complaining about a sound card.

I'm amused by people who use BSD or Linux as a desktop
You're the guy who still runs PHP 7.4, so that's not a surprise.
There's no real difference running php 7.3, 7.4 or 8.3 except religion.

iesff.jpg

I think there must be a misunderstanding. I'm pretty certain arrival and departure announcements are not required or a standard action from a random user of software or an operating system.

Am I wrong? Should I prepare a speech in anticipation that I may find an alternative system?

Edit: I am attempting to be sarcastic. I find it completely unproductive to post when you move from one system to another. Asking for help is helpful to more people than yourself and should be the standard.

I find it completely unproductive to post when you move from one system to another.

He took the opportunity to thank everyone, and take care.

I find it useful to know when, and why, a person chooses to leave. It can be as polite as introducing yourself.

Asking for help

He did ask for help. You can see his post history.

I'm amused by people who use BSD or Linux as a desktop,. Used iMACs are cheaper than a good monitor and you don't have to spend your days complaining about a sound card.

Mock, if you like. Do you truly believe that it's an incentive for someone to return to a FreeBSD community?

He was a former user of GhostBSD.

hansw

It is shame the FreeBSD did not work for you. I got luckily and old hardware supported decently. That sound got broken sounds a little bit "weird" since FreeBSD is very conservative, for me the issue was that FreeBSD has too many hidden knobs to move to make the hardware working properly that aren't documented at all.

As someone else already wrote OpenBSD is more desktop oriented and it is worth to try.

I got that far. Usually clicking on member's name there gets to profile page, hence posts etc, which failed as above.

Seeing that, I tried entering 74332 in the search 'member' box, to no avail. Then found that only plain 'hansw' there worked. XenForo is hardly transparent and I'm no newbie.

The docs also suggest that [user]name[/user] should auto-supply the user number, but that's never worked for me, needing a two-stage hunt to provide user=999

Sorry OT, but this must bug more people than just me?

No results found."

Where did '354383' come from?

All still opaque to me.
I put the cursor on hansw's username (on his original post) in the left column, which revealed post count among other things and then right clicked the post count and copied the link [edit: as Graham also pointed out above]. No idea why the link doesn't work for you.

:)

I just installed FreeBSD14.0 on 2012 macbookpro (upgraded to 16GB) for an old friend. Far from perfect but this should be an improvement over his even old Intel box (2GB RAM) running 6.2!

I put the cursor on hansw's username (on his original post) in the left column, which revealed post count among other things

Right, I got to there ok.

and then right clicked the post count and copied the link [edit: as Graham also pointed out above]. No idea why the link doesn't work for you.

I'm browsing on my phone. I see the post and 'karma' counts but there appears ZERO indication that post count is a link, so it never occurred to me to click on (and hold) it.

Yes, that works, but was totally opaque until you mentioned it, also now making sense of Graham's screenshot.

That's Samsung Internet; tried with my old Firefox too: NO hint that post count is a magic link.

How many laughing emojis am I allowed to include in a single post?
Barney I think the purple dinosaur is a better avatar for you; I'm saying that from a position of using FreeBSD or Linux as a daily driver desktop for at least 20 yrs. Yes, I'm old enough that I forgot when I started.

As for the OP, he's posted asking for help, I've tried to help, others have tried to help, but in the end sometimes things don't work for you on your hardware.

In general my opinion Linux distros have better support of latest/cutting edge hardware, specifically Wireless and graphics, but FreeBSD has always had good support for a "generation or two back". More my opinion, for standard daily driver stuff like web, general use, that works out fine. Heavy video/audio processing it may not be suitable, but even Linux falls short compared to "pay for your software options".

End result, it always comes down to the applications you need for your use cases and if "A" doesn't meet your needs, but "B" does, by all means use B even if it's Windows.

ETA:
Playing rogue decades ago may have helped me (searching for traps/secret doors)! You learn to always check out any new place you enter

That sounds a lot like "You have entered a twisty maze of passages, all alike"

His choice has to be respected. Even, if in this context, I feel it's a somewhat help cries. There is others OS than FreeBSD and, depending the goal, they match better.

I can't understand why there are so many posts about that.

I use debian, Windows and some others. No trouble with that.

Everyone is free.

Yes, I do run into problems lately. Sound broke down ( 3rd time) and I am to sick to spend to much time. Sure, there are things I will miss but it is becoming a problem for me.
Thanks for all the help, take care
I wonder how long he will going to stay at Debian camp...

run windows 11 in a VM on freebsd so you can erase the windows partition ?
Since the developer explicitly adviced not to use any sort of VM, I'll keep the W11 partition. The ECU of a motorcycle seems to be very sensitive to those things and I don't want to wreck that computer.

Reactions: mer
That was the game of ADVENT (aka Colossal Cave Adventure) on PDP-10. You didn't even need a 2D display to play it. No xyzzy in Rogue.
I remember playing it on a Texas Instruments thermal paper TTY over 300 baud to dad's work. One learned there is a difference "...maze of twisty passages all alike" and "...twisty maze of passages all alike".
Modern games have nothing on the classics.

Since the developer explicitly adviced not to use any sort of VM, I'll keep the W11 partition. The ECU of a motorcycle seems to be very sensitive to those things and I don't want to wreck that computer.

I use an Android phone for vehicle access.

Depends on the model of iMac - the model iMac 5,1 won't boot FreeBSD without some hackery because it doesn't have 64-bit EFI.

The later model iMac 12,1 has working EFI and the sound card does work in FreeBSD but the device isn't configured correctly and outputs all of the sound through the internal tweeters and doesn't use the woofers, therefore is more annoying than it's worth.

Models after that are more expensive/not worth it/out of support for macOS anyway.

Apple Silicon won't run anything other than macOS and even then, probably the most limited computing experience.

I have all the Infocom games, and ADVENT as a Microsoft release for the IBM PC.
All run from a Win98 VM on an ESXi host.

Back