Are liquor stores really essential businesses?

In order to proper impose controls one must have the right tooling to do it.
The Australian federal government has just announced that gatherings of more than two people (outside a household, supermarkets, and some other required exceptions) are banned.
Strong social distancing rules have been in place for some time.
Whilst I don't anticipate seeing the doors to anyone's condo building getting welded shut any time soon, the rules are (or will be) enforceable in law, and carry heavy fines. Special police squads have been formed to do the enforcement.
The vast majority of people are complying.
Anyone can now consult a GP or psychologist by electronic media for free (bulk billed to the federal government).
The elected leaders of our federated states (equivalent to US governors) sit down each day (virtually) with the Prime Minister to take advice from the experts, thrash out the issues, and maintain a common, negotiated position.
The long game is now being openly discussed. i.e. are we aiming to comprehensively infect the population at rate sufficiently slow that the medical facilities can cope, or are we holding out to minimize infections until a vaccine (or miracle cure) is available.

I think that the tooling we have in Australia is reasonably well suited to the democratic society in which it operates.

However, I would agree that the USA seems to be comprehensively challenged in this regard.

The Concept of "Race" Is a Lie
Such articles are rather paying tribute to modern "fashion" of banning words... It's a substitution of concepts!
The identity of genomes doesn't mean identity of morphology etc. The same genes can be more or less active depending on many conditions. It's not a secret that Asian people cannot "digest" alcohol as good as European, black people use different cosmetics because their skin's secretes are different and so on.
Such political correctness overkills.

In regards to USA, the concerns of its Government is ...
You can stop right there, because anything else you will say in the rest of the sentence will be wrong. The USA has (famously) more than one government. And they are remarkably independent of each other. Most people in the US are governed by 4 governments: Federal, state, county, and city; some by only 3 (those that live in a part of a county that is not organized into a city or town). The equivalent of "county" in Germany is the Landkreis or Kreis, in Brasil there are separate comarcas and municipios. (We are in a funny situation: while we are not in a city, in theory we are only in 3 political subdivisions. But because our house is only a few hundred m from the dividing line between two counties, and 90% of our life takes place in the county that we don't live in, we are regulated by two different counties: one for building our house, taxation and such, and the other for shopping, working, and traffic.)

And you can be sure that the concerns of the various governments do not agree. And the constitution explicitly creates a complicated system of which areas which subdivision is in charge of. Here is a random list of things that are disagreements: The state of California and the coastal (rich and leftist) counties would love to make guns illegal, or at least regulate them as strictly as in many European countries; as it is, California has tighter gun control laws than most European countries. However, the federal constitution guarantees the right to some gun ownership, so many things that California would like to do (like mandatory psychological tests before buying guns) are simply legally impossible. On the other hand, in the area I live in, it is virtually impossible to get a license to carry a gun in public, but in some counties about 2 hours east of me (in the conservative, poor and agricultural or mountainous areas), getting such a license is trivial. Next example: Possessing, using and growing marijuana is not only very legal in California, but in most coastal areas it is a big business, with large farms, dispensaries a common sight, and the smell of it coming from many bars and nightclubs. It remains federally illegal to do any of that, and in particular growing and selling it is a very serious crime. But even within California, there are divisions: when the Coronavirus quarantine hit, some cities (San Jose in particular) declared marijuana dispensaries as "essential" businesses, so they could stay open. Most other businesses were closed. In particular, all gun stores were closed pretty much immediately (sometimes under considerable pressure, I've heard stories of the policy showing up heavily armed and forcibly closing gun stores. In contrast, some county sheriffs in the Sierra mountains have declared gun stores to be essential businesses (because in particular in a dangerous and uncertain situation such as this the people need to be able to restock ammo and buy more guns).

I have no idea what the concern of the Government of the US is. I know many people who work in that government, and I know what they individually want (and they don't often agree). It's quite clear to me that President Trump is both insane and stupid, and has no idea what he's talking about, but fortunately his guidance is often ignored.

... and the USA opponents are working their strategies around this fact (specially Russian and China), the USA will completely bankrupt around 2035, when its (IIRC) 34 trillion debt will make the call.
I'm old. I've heard that the US will go bankrupt since the mid-60s (when I was a little kid), when my parent's friends were saying that the expense of the Vietnam war was going to bankrupt the US. Every 5 or 10 years someone discovers a different reason for that to happen. For some odd reason, it hasn't gone bankrupt in the past 50 years yet, and has actually not even come anywhere close. The closest any signifcant part of the US ever got to that was the city of New York in the 70s, but even then, it was always clear that they would be bailed out. There are some smaller cities in the US that have declared bankruptcy (Detroit is the only large one, both Stockton and San Bernadino are relative near me), but in all these cases, all debts were paid after some delay. In the meantime, many other countries have had to revalue or destroy their currency, stop paying debt, or be shored up by donors (all I need to say is PIIGS). The probability that the US will "call" its debt seems to be zero, if the past is any guide.

The fact they just spent trillions in a bunch of crap, like the F35 "always miss the target" Jet, Zumwalt-class "useless" destroyer, Littoral "aluminum superstructure" Combatant Ship doesn't help at all.
A lot of that stuff is very dumb, I agree. But on the grand scale of things, many other political efforts are dumber and more expensive, even within the US. But less visible. Contrariwise, the US military (even if bloated, inefficient, too expensive) is still a rather dangerous and powerful machine, which most other countries either fear or try to emulate, often with similar stupidities.

There is only one race - the human race.

Rubbish.

The common meaning of race is nicely stated by wikipedia:
A race is a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society.

Now, if you like to argue a Swahili tribesman is the same as a Ainu of Japan, then go for it.

No one, least of all me, said that race is based on genetics. It's a made up problem.

I don't know enough about Russia🇷🇺, suffice to say, fuel them up with Vodka and they're happy!

Russia include more than 100 Ethnicities. To have an idea of the problem there is a TV in Russia airing programs in about 54 different languages[1]. Most are tribal groups but several of them play important roles in the borders security.

You can stop right there, because anything else you will say in the rest of the sentence will be wrong. The USA has (famously) more than one government. And they are remarkably independent of each other. Most people in the US are governed by 4 governments: Federal, state, county, and city; some by only 3 (those that live in a part of a county that is not organized into a city or town). The equivalent of "county" in Germany is the Landkreis or Kreis, in Brasil there are separate comarcas and municipios. (We are in a funny situation: while we are not in a city, in theory we are only in 3 political subdivisions. But because our house is only a few hundred m from the dividing line between two counties, and 90% of our life takes place in the county that we don't live in, we are regulated by two different counties: one for building our house, taxation and such, and the other for shopping, working, and traffic.)

Yes, I know that, but the economy (tax != economy) and defense is controlled by the Federal government in both USA and Brazil.

In Brasil in particular the real power of the states and municipalities are minimal since theoretically (by the Constitution) Brazil is a Federation but in practice a Federal Republic. The majority of the taxes are collected by the states and municipalities but the gross of it is then handed to the Federal Government which later redistribute in the way they want.

In practice São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Paraná and a couple of more states collect by far (I would need to have a look into the current numbers) the larger part of the taxes and receive almost nothing back, about 75% goes to the Northeast states (and nobody knows what they do with that money). In short, the richest states pay the mess they do in the Northeast while live almost only of ICMS, and the municipalities of some minor specifics taxes[2].

I'm old. I've heard that the US will go bankrupt since the mid-60s (when I was a little kid), when my parent's friends were saying that the expense of the Vietnam war was going to bankrupt the US. Every 5 or 10 years someone discovers a different reason for that to happen. For some odd reason, it hasn't gone bankrupt in the past 50 years yet, and has actually not even come anywhere close. The closest any signifcant part of the US ever got to that was the city of New York in the 70s, but even then, it was always clear that they would be bailed out. There are some smaller cities in the US that have declared bankruptcy (Detroit is the only large one, both Stockton and San Bernadino are relative near me), but in all these cases, all debts were paid after some delay. In the meantime, many other countries have had to revalue or destroy their currency, stop paying debt, or be shored up by donors (all I need to say is PIIGS). The probability that the US will "call" its debt seems to be zero, if the past is any guide.

I don't know how the people got on that conclusion on that time, but the main two reasons USA kept/keep doing fine with international crisis are well known:

1. US Dollar is the standard foreign trade currency;
  2. currencies are by default dollar-backed.
With this situation wherever economic problem USA have they can (for instance) print money like crazy, like they did in 2008, and spread their misery around the whole world. The change is these both two points are not completelly true anymore and are changing in a reasonable fast peace, and the USA have a debit which is almost the double of the GDP (and growing fast).

Since some time, but specially after 2008, several countries[3] have being switching back to gold-backed plus a mix of currencies. China, Russia, India, Poland, and many others have been buying gold like crazy for that in the last ten years. Russia in particular spent the last decade buying dozens of tons of gold every year. If you ask people who deal with currency exchange, specially in the asset protection market, you will discover the Russian Ruble is today considered near as safe as the Swiss Franc.

Also, completely on the contrary of what the media tell, the Russian economy is among of the most stable in the world, to the point of being stagnated. This is not a problem because that was made on purpose in this way. The idea was/is to sit in a huge amount of cash and then re-shape the country and the economy with ease. Russia is sitting in about US$ 580 billion of reserves, plus an equivalent of 7% of its GDP in a fund ready to be spent with wherever they want, plus the gold, and they have little to no debt.

In this right moment the Duma (Russian parliament) has several groups (different economic ideals) working on several projects to re-shape the Russian economy and make it grow faster and sustainable. At the same time there are several (called) 'National Projects' begin prepared with in depth details to attack its major problems, like health system (which also link with programs to reduce road accidents etc.). If they will succeed or not is another story but Russia already is a VERY different country of what it was 20 years ago, when Duma was not able to became with anything and when they came that was impossible to implement...

A lot of that stuff is very dumb, I agree. But on the grand scale of things, many other political efforts are dumber and more expensive, even within the US. But less visible. Contrariwise, the US military (even if bloated, inefficient, too expensive) is still a rather dangerous and powerful machine, which most other countries either fear or try to emulate, often with similar stupidities.

IIRC the DoD budget for this year will be close to 800 billion, and there is no way to make this number too lower in the future because of the Defense Doctrine the USA follow, which is expeditionary.

If you pay attention you will almost always see the US Navy sailing with a Carrier (main vessel), and a fleet composed of a destroyer and some frigates. While Russia, China, India, etc. (basically everyone else, with minor changes) use a destroyer as capital ship, and they often sail alone. Russia in particular have its defense strategies based on submarines. Those are the most important vessels for them, and they are very effective with them, the only carrier they have are likely to be scrambled soon ever before they decide to build the new project - they have little use to it.

The reason is the USA doctrine impose them to be prepared anywhere in the world at anytime, and so they need to carry everything everywhere, including maintaining a ton of bases everywhere. I will not get into of what I think in regards of the effectiveness of this doctrine because this would be a long story.

The others doctrines, but specially the Russian one[4], is based on keep the equipment they need to control/repel any attack against them or their allies[5], and if that fail they can bring the nuclear weapons into the game to dissuade their opponents.

In practice, the USA doctrine is useless against its true opponents because they (USA) will never actually attack any of them except if they have absolutely no choice (and would need a lot of more than what they have in cache around its opponents). We can't really say anything about China and India but this is very clear Russia would not blef if they need to actually launch a nuclear weapon - and everybody knows that.

A change may partially happen in the USA doctrine but incidentally. Philippines, a former USA colony btw, just expelled their base in there (and that is the most important one in the region because is the one facing China) and at least a partial cascade effect is expected in the region. China have some quite more effective method to expand its influence:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9E0NVroum0

Side note: I really like Singapore, specially how they actually designed (IMO this is the right term) the country and still manage to properly re-design it every time they need/want. Not bad for a country that was expelled form Malaysia[5] and managed start from a backwards fishing country to one of they key players in Asia (and worldwide), in one generation.

[1] there is a video about it but I fail to record where.
[2] this is one of the good reasons of why the Brazilian South region still have some separatist mind.
[3] not ever getting into how the € affected and affect the situation.
[4] the Chinese and Indian are based on the Russian. In fact 'Admiral Gorshkov' is the hero of the Indian Navy...
[5] likely the only country which became independent against its will.

Just a few tiny comments:

Yes, I know that, but the economy (tax != economy) and defense is controlled by the Federal government in both USA and Brazil.

In Brasil in particular the real power of the states and municipalities are minimal since theoretically (by the Constitution) Brazil is a Federation but in practice a Federal Republic. The majority of the taxes are collected by the states and municipalities but the gross of it is then handed to the Federal Government which later redistribute in the way they want.

And that's different in the US. In the US, local and state government has a lot of power. Just one example: Sitting across the room is an elected board member of our local school district (my wife). She and her four colleagues have the power of deciding how to spend the money the school district gets from local taxpayers, and how much to tax them, which teachers to hire, whether to paint the classrooms or to buy new laptops, and so on. There is an enormous amount of local power and local spending. Now obviously my wife and her colleagues can't do silly things with the about $15K or $20K per student that they have to spend (matter-of-fact, they never have enough to run the school reasonably, so most decisions are about what NOT to do with the money, and how to find more money).

I can do a really simple measurement of the relative power of local versus federal government by measuring where my taxes go: About 50% go to the federal government (income tax); about 25% to the state (also income tax plus a fraction of sales tax, known as VAT in the rest of the world), and about 25% to local government (sales tax, plus real estate tax, plus school-specific taxes). If I were in a city, the split would be somewhat different. Now, the federal government does a lot of "redistributing", and California is a net payer into the federal government (most small states are net receivers, with some states like New Mexico or Montana being fundamentally unable to survive except for federal grants). But the power is not at all centralized in the federal government, even if that is the thing that is most visible from outside.

It's also visible in daily life. There is very little federal police, and the federal courts are not involved in everyday life of most people. In daily life, you interact with either state or local government, with a few exceptions being federal regulation (for example transportation) and national parks.

In practice São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Paraná ... about 75% goes to the Northeast states (and nobody knows what they do with that money).
The social difference is very large in Brasil, not only between rich and poor, but also between localities. I've been to Campo Grande several times for extended visits, and to the rural areas of Mato Grosso do Sul, but I've also been to Rio and Sao Paulo (I was born in Campinas). The difference is staggering, like between first world and third world. The US also has economic differences (Mississippi and Montana are nothing like New York and California), but they are not as extreme.

Russia is sitting in about US$ 580 billion of reserves, ...
That's about the same amount as the cash being held by Amazon, Apple, Berkshire Hathaway, Facebook, Google, and Microsoft. Matter-of-fact, most of those companies have between $50B and $100B in cash sitting around, and the top ones way over $100B.

A while ago President Trump (in one of his frequent attacks of insanity) suggested that the US wanted to take control of Greenland. The difference is this: Jeff Bezos together with Amazon could simply buy it. They could make the Danish crown an offer that would be awfully hard to refuse. While the US government would have a really hard time finding the cash to pay for Greenland, in particular since nobody in congress likes Trump.

That's about the same amount as the cash being held by Amazon, Apple, Berkshire Hathaway, Facebook, Google, and Microsoft. Matter-of-fact, most of those companies have between $50B and $100B in cash sitting around, and the top ones way over $100B.

But I don't think they will burn their cash just to try to destabilize the Ruble because this is all these 580 billion (in particular) is about, reserves to stabilize the Ruble if necessary, and with it heavy gold-backed now that amount seems quite excessive. :)

Many Russian numbers are not super impressive to USA standards but Russia considerably cheaper than USA to develop things, the largest infrastructure/energy companies like 'Rosneft' or the most important shipbuilders etc. are state-owned or partially state-owned, and they have a preference to develop everything they can in-house which can make things ever cheaper.

The problem with the US (and Canada and Australia) is that it has some very good beer. Blackhaz already mentioned the craft beer industry, and I think there is way more variety from small breweries in places like Oregon, California and Massachusetts than in Germany. On the other hand, the generic beer that's sold in huge quantities is pretty awful. Everyone knows the joke, right? Why is "Miller Lite" like making love in a canoe? Ha ha.

Nope. With 1539 breweries in Germany (a quarter the population of the US) and most of them centuries-old craft breweries, there is no contest from Canada, the US or Australia in this discipline either.

Edit: wrong number of breweries corrected

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Nope. With 1539 breweries in Germany (a quarter the population of the US) and most of them centuries-old craft breweries, there is no contest from Canada, the US or Australia in this discipline either.
When I was a lad, working in western Queensland, there were just two brands of beer. You either drank XXXX or Gold Top.

Wanting to drink anything else was certainly effete. Ladies were, of course, permitted a dash of lemonade in the beer.

Things have changed somewhat since then. There are, according to Wikipedia, 717 craft breweries in Australia.

So Australia has 29.1 craft breweries per million population. Germany has 18.6.

I intend to wile away my isolation home brewing with Coopers wort concentrates and White Labs yeast, a combination which (with appropriate temperature control, and additions of hops) can produce results worthy of any craft brewery. So make that 718.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Depending on where you look, there seem to be slightly over 7000 breweries in the US, the vast majority craft breweries (I bet 80% of the beer comes from the top 10). That works out to 21 breweries per million people.

But the beer market is clearly very different in Germany versus the US. In the US, it is (by volume) dominated by a few large national brands: Bud, Coors, Miller, Michelob, and a few others. While they account for a huge fraction of overall beer sales, I honestly don't think I've had any of those in about 30 years, not since having been a grad student. I think they're awful. Even at places like baseball games you find craft beers. Some craft beers are nationally sold (like Samual Adams and Sierra Nevada), and many others that I can't even remember are local only. In addition, there is a huge amount of imported beer sold: As students, we used to drink more Foster, Sapporo and Dos Equis than mass-market stuff.

Germany is different. National brands exist (Krombacher, Becks, Warsteiner), but they don't dominate, and they're reasonably good. And in many pubs, they won't get served much. Beer and beer taste is much more local. In any given city, a very large fraction of the beer consumed is the local stuff from the city. If you go to the Altstadt in Duesseldorf, you will probably drink Diebels, Uerige, or Fuechschen. If you ask for a "Pils" style beer, the nice lady behind the counter will look at you funny, but she will be polite and find one for you (probably even on tap), and she will speak in high german to you (instead of dialect), because she immediately knows that you are from far away. If you are drinking Rhenania, you are very likely in Krefeld. If you are drinking a Gleumes, you are sitting in Gleumes' brewpub in Krefeld (I don't think the beer is available anywhere else). Conversely, if you go to Gleumes' brew pub and ask for a Pils-style beer, the Koebes (waiter) will more or less politely tell you that you should try a lemonade or mineral water. My wife made that mistake EXACTLY ONCE (she doesn't like dark beer), and the waiter was very polite, because it was clear that she (a) is a tourist (she only speaks English), and (b) is associated with a group of people who speak dialect and drink the correct beer (my siblings and in-laws). The next time we're there, she ordered a mineral water, to prevent repeating the scene.

If you go to a pub in Hamburg or Muenchen and ask for a Diebels, Rhenania, or Gleumes, you will either get a polite "sorry, we don't have that here", or a blank stare. Unless you are in a beer specialty place, but those are rare. And if you were stupid enough to ask for a Duesseldorf- or Krefeld-style Alt beer in Koeln (Cologne), or for a Koelsch in Duesseldorf, on a Friday night in a busy pub, your nose might get broken and you might find yourself lying outside the door of the pub waiting for an ambulance. While the folks in the lower rhine area are generally friendly towards foreigners (Berliners, Bavarians, French), Koeln is the enemy (and vice versa). By the way, the two cities of Cologne and Duesseldorf are only 50km apart from each other, which makes the hatred more intense.

I lived in Hamburg for two years, and ended up drinking lots of donkey piss diluted with seawater, but that's because my taste is calibrated towards the beer from the Rheinland and Niederrhein. The beer in Hamburg is so bad, they add lemonade to it and sell it as Alsterwasser! OK, I'm sure a person from up north would rather stick his head in the Rhine and inhale than drink the stuff I enjoy, but to each his own.

So Germany has a lot of decent beer, and lots of really good stuff. The US has an enormous amount of garbage that is sold as beer, and also a lot of good stuff.

ralphbsz I once said I'd invite you to a beer if the chance would arise. As someone whose beer taste was calibrated where you can see the tides in the road ditches, I think I'll make that a glass of tab water. It looks to be too dangerous, otherwise. ;)

When I was a lad, working in western Queensland, there were just two brands of beer. You either drank XXXX or Gold Top.
For that matter, when I was a lad, down here in Russia, we used to have 2-4 kinds of beer. One was served in ... ok let's call them "pubs" he-he. It was from the brewery -- nothing fancy but we drank it.
The other 2-3 were bottled beers. Sour $#@&! But I didn't care much, as you don't when you're 18 :).
Back in those days I could drink a lot of beer, but now they all seem to me to come from the same tank. I have changed, though, don't drink at all.
Back then I always dreamed of going to Chekhoslovakia (as it was called back then), which has a reputation of where beer was originally "invented"...
Russia include more than 100 Ethnicities.
More than that, I'm sure... but the thinking across this diversity is pretty similar, when it comes to certain questions.

I fail to see how liquor is essential.

Well, it depends. And a lot on Your individual viewpoints.

There are people who think that "sex & drugs & rock'n'roll" is basically bad (or "the devil's") and should be banned anyway.
But then, otoh, sex and drugs and ritual music are the main ways to alter your state-of-consciousness, and people were always interested in that. This is as old as mankind, and is probably what actually holds mankind together.

Then there is the questions how dangerous things should be handled. And things that can alter the state-of-consciousness are somehow dangerous and need special care (you can run your brain into a system-crash just like you can a computer). Some people say such dangerous things should be controlled by government - others say it should NOT be controlled by government because the government is corrupt. (Even though I agree to the latter, I don't have a final stance on that question.)

And then there is the question inhowfar the government should be allowed to limit the freedom of the citicens. And I think that's the wrong question, because at first the citicens should learn to not rely on a government and become able to manage their own crap. Because, for the government holds true what Dostojewskij said, about taking away the people's bread in order to distribute it among them.

Consider the farmer who raises chickens. He has a coup which holds 40K birds. They harvest every 3 months.
He cannot produce more chickens on a whim. He is on a set timetable and has to allow his crop to mature.
So our food supply system is not well equipped for surges in demand.

That makes sense, as people also cannot eat lots more of chicken suddenly. And you cannot store chicken (dead ones) unless you make yourself dependent on electricity.

Seriously, why the heck can so many Americans only perceive a good drink as "sin" or a drug?

Well, I think you know that answer. Because quite an amount of the original settlers were christian religions extremists driven out of Europe. (Or read Max Weber about 'protestant ethics': about how it is considered "good" to make money off others, and how it is considered "bad" to enjoy your life.)

I hate scotch and bourbon. I think they taste like distilled rat poison.

Alright back to topic: What exactly do english-speaking/american people understand by "scotch"?

Because, I for my part do not like Whisky as it is commonly served.
But what I actually do like, highly appreciated, are the single-malts: the Lagavulin, the Glenlivet, the Oban, ... - they are very specific, they do each apply to a certain individual mind-state, and then sometimes they do extend that mind-state in a creative way, almost similar to what people experience with Absinthe. :)

Actually, I sort of agree. I don't like generic Bourbon (whisk(e)y made in the southern US) or Scotch (whisky made in Scotland). By the way, I remember that there is a difference between whisky and whiskey (the e matters), but I don't remember why or how.

However: I've occasionally had some very good Irish or Scottish whisky, and it is surprisingly not bad. Not great ... I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a bottle, because I wouldn't enjoy it *THAT* much, but I'll have a glass at someone's house to be social. On the other hand, I've been known to spend hundreds on a bottle of brandy (Cognac, other french or european brandies), and I love drinking them. And I'll enjoy a $15 bottle of brandy much more than a $100 bottle of single-malt collector scotch.

The most expensive bottle we ever bought was over a quarter century ago; my sisters and me bought a bottle of 1933 vintage Cognac for our father's 60th birthday. It was several thousand (and I don't remember whether it was US-$, Euro, or Mark, but it was a lot).

Some funny news:

Some other reference for disappearing goods: https://www.rbb24.de/politik/thema/...hutzmasken-berlin-innensenator-geisel-3m.html (in german).
This looks fishy, in my opinion.

These days if you want to receive your order better use a charter flight and get it directly from the seller door.

alcoholics will die if they go cold turkey .. even hospitals give them alcohol as part of there prescription. how or who sells it to them, even a ABC store even, that is America's Capitalistic ways, it is was the U.S.A. is built on. That is there core system.

Back