Solved vscode package is no longer available

For this specific case, it would be toooooo heavy build dependency, electron* (one should be specified by vscode), is updated too often that build cluster cannot build it within each updates and no pkg is created, thus vscode cannot be started building.
Maybe the solution would be either
*Introduce more powerful build cluster.
or
*electron become stable inough that one port (depended on by vscode)
is updated once per 1month or more months.

For vscode, this often, very often, almost usually happenes.

Another solution would be to build vscode and its dependencies by yourself.
Beware! You should be forced to use poudriere or other clean-room builder, if you have node* installed. electron* uses non-default node and conflicts.

it would be toooooo heavy build dependency
Has absolutely nothing to do with it.
is updated too often that build cluster cannot build it within each updates and no pkg is created, thus vscode cannot be started building.
Nonsense. Builds are mostly "atomic", in other words the packages get build from a snapshot of the ports tree at any given time. The ports tree the build cluster uses isn't updated while the builds are running.

Has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Actually, it has ... see also my PR 270565.

Nonsense. Builds are mostly "atomic", in other words the packages get build from a snapshot of the ports tree at any given time. The ports tree the build cluster uses isn't updated while the builds are running.
This might be a misunderstanding, I think what he meant was that too often in a bulk run, electron would have to be rebuilt because the version changed from the previous bulk run.

Still I think this isn't the actual problem. As I learned, the actual problem was that builds of electron ran into timeouts on the build servers.

It's not a heavy build, it's a pain in the posterior to build, reliably and consistently. Chromium for example is a heavy build, it often takes 24 hours to complete. That's on quite a big rig.

If you're talking about electron (and not vscode itself), I would like to disagree 😉
+1. This is what I mean.
Not sure for other package builder / CI tools, but for poudriere[-devel], it deletes old pkgs to be rebuilt first, then, start rebuilding.
All builds extract pre-built pkg in dedicated jail and use them to build.
So if any of the (direct and indirect) pkg of BUILD_DEPENDS are not ready, build cannot start or fail with missing dependencies.

Would it be possibly useful if old packages are kept until the new ones build successfully, or they can't because of dependencies?

Would it be possibly useful if old packages are kept until the new ones build successfully, or they can't because of dependencies?
If the dependency itself is not updated, it is not deleted and used.
Do not know about tools other than poudriere[-devel].

Unfortunately, vscode has heavy and often updated dependencies, like electron and node. (Non-default versions of node are updated often, I feel.)
And maybe vscode would not be given enough time to build within pkg cluster run intervals in many cases. As far as I can recall, pkg of vscode is built in weeks that wanted version of electron AND node are NOT updated.

Back