starting wayland (wayfire) fails using nvidia card [Found 0 GPUS]

Error:
Code:
II 21-02-24 09:30:10.587 - [src/main.cpp:334] Starting wayfire version v0.8.0
II 21-02-24 09:30:10.587 - [libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:77] Seat opened with backend 'seatd'
II 21-02-24 09:30:10.587 - [libseat] [libseat/backend/seatd.c:212] Enabling seat
II 21-02-24 09:30:10.587 - [backend/session/session.c:109] Successfully loaded libseat session
II 21-02-24 09:30:10.592 - [backend/session/session.c:473] Waiting for a DRM card device
EE 21-02-24 09:30:20.649 - [backend/backend.c:217] Found 0 GPUs, cannot create backend
EE 21-02-24 09:30:20.649 - [backend/backend.c:390] Failed to open any DRM device
EE 21-02-24 09:30:20.651 - [src/main.cpp:134] Fatal error: Segmentation fault
EE 21-02-24 09:30:20.652 - #1  0x3639f2 <main+0x15e2> at /usr/local/bin/wayfire
EE 21-02-24 09:30:20.652 - #2  0x82c13d53f <pthread_sigmask+0x53f> at /lib/libthr.so.3
EE 21-02-24 09:30:20.652 - #3  0x82c13cafb <pthread_setschedparam+0x83b> at /lib/libthr.so.3
EE 21-02-24 09:30:20.652 - #4  0x82090f2d3 <???> at ???
EE 21-02-24 09:30:20.652 - #5  0x8216c06e4 <wlr_backend_get_drm_fd+0x4> at /usr/local/wlroots016/lib/libwlroots.so.11
EE 21-02-24 09:30:20.652 - #6  0x3628ef <main+0x4df> at /usr/local/bin/wayfire
EE 21-02-24 09:30:20.652 - #7  0x82a1e3afa <__libc_start1+0x12a> at /lib/libc.so.7

Boot dmesg,
Code:
nvidia0: <NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060> on vgapci0

HI Mate, i wrote a tutorial on installing wayfire

however i had terrible audio popping using wayfire with obs studio

im not sure if there is an issue with installing wayfire since i last used it a couple of months ago

i would reccommend using dwl instead
i have tried hikari, wayfire and dwl on freebsd and dwl works best

dwl notes and config

my dotfiles

dwl videos

have you got the xdg runtime directory setup

in your zsh or shell config

Code:
export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR="/var/run/user/`id -u`"

find your id

Code:
id

create the xdg runtime dir
replace djwilcox with your username and 1001 with youur id

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /var/run/user/1001
sudo chown -R djwilcox:wheel /var/run/user/1001
sudo chmod 700 /var/run/user/1001

While I had wayland working with NVidia, dwl was best for me as well. Using labwc didn't have a mouse. However, in the last few days, Wayland has stopped working with NVidia for me. I start seatd, load nvidia-drm, but when I type dwl, I get a black screen, which looks like it's going to start, but then an error message
[seatd/seat.c:170] Added client 1 to seat0 [seatd/seat.c:480] Opened client 1 on seat0 [seatd/client.c:471] Client disconnected No clients on seat0 to activate
It was working before, and I don't see what I might have updated to change it
but Wayland on NVidia is no longer working for me.

hi mate, what a pain

good to see im not the only one who thinks dwl is the best wayland compositor on freebsd

im runnnig freebsd 14 p5 on a dell xps 15 2019 and macbook air 2011
and luckily havent run into that issue

heres my root dotfiles

heres how i start dwl

Code:
exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session dwl -s 'dwlb -font "monospace:size=16"'

in my rc.conf i have the following

Code:
kld_list="nvidia-modeset nvidia-drm linux linux64 i915kms ext2fs mac_priority"
# wayland
seatd_enable="YES"
# dbus
dbus_enable="YES"

is you XDG_RUNTIME_DIR set up
maybe a permission issue on the directory

i think seatd and the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR are the 2 main things you need to set up

Yeah, my XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is in my $HOME/.bashrc and I don't get errors with that. I load nvidia-modeset through /boot/loader.conf. Like I said, it was working until last week, I think it was. I'm not too worried about it, I was mainly doing it just to see if I could, I usually use xorg and dwm.

Keep us posted. The only other thing I've tried it on is Fedora, which works (as expected, since Fedora is a part of RH, and Fedora's workstation version runs Wayland Gnome, though I did a minimal install and just did labwc on it).

I also had issues with Wayland on Nvidia. None of my Nvidia machines want to run Wayland. It gave some specific error but I can't recall what it was. I'll post it when I am at my system next time. Would be nice to have wayfire on Nvidia.

That Hyprland of yours is overhyped and hyped. It is not stable, even with the latest wayland libraries and open source video drivers it works badly. Both in Arch Linux and in Artix linux it work badly....latest technologies...what to wish for...

i used wayland and nvidia with gnome on ubuntu, fedora and nixos without any issues

however gnome is not my cup of tea, it like someone installed ios on your computer

Thanks for taking the time to let us know. I imagine that they'll do some more work on the drm and eventually, it'll work. My Linux machine with NVidia is pretty old, can't run RHEL9, runs Rocky-8, and I never bothered to try Wayland. I do wonder if RH (the MS of Linux, IM Arrogant O), will allow X or have some captible thingie. I can't believe that everyone who runs RH, uses the beloved (to RH) Gnome.

NapoleonWils0n yeah, I just look at Gnome as a slightly less annoying version of MacOS or Windows--as I have been fortunate enough to avoid being forced to use either of them for years, I don't know which it resembles.

On the other hand, I once installed Fedora's workstation version, out of curiosity, and it was convenient to have everything done for ya. (Like printers, and such).
Also NapoleonWils0n what NVidia card do you have? I have GP108 [GeForce GT 1030]
according to pciconf -lv. (Actually a Gigabyte version of it, GV-N1030D4-2GL

And for one meaningless comparison, I ran labwc and also fluxbox on a laptop with Fedora and labwc used about 20M more memory if I remember correctly.

Which nvidia driver are you using ? Because last year I used 525 and wayfire worked. Now I'm running 535 and it does not work anymore. I suppose that the seg fault may be caused by the 535.

Both when it worked and didn't work, I've been using nvidia-driver-535.146.02. I was also using the nvidia-drm-515-kmod-535.146.02_2 when it worked, then stopped working. My Nvidia card, as I've probably mentioned somewhere in this thread is GT1030.

Both when it worked and didn't work, I've been using nvidia-driver-535.146.02. I was also using the nvidia-drm-515-kmod-535.146.02_2 when it worked, then stopped working. My Nvidia card, as I've probably mentioned somewhere in this thread is GT1030.
It's failing on my 1070 (535), 850m (535)and quadro 600 (340) as well.

So you want to use the slower and less efficient method to move windows :)

The only Wayland compositors i have tried on Freebsd are dwl, wayfire and hikari
Sway and Hyprland are known to have issues with Nvidia

You could one of the other compositors on the arch wiki

I want the best. But I see that I can't move windows and mouse pointer using dwl and I should remember a lot of keys because it is heavily driven by the keyboard : I don't like this approach. In addition,I want to use csh and I haven't found the way to use it with dwl. Last year I've installed wayfire,it worked and I liked it,today it doesn't.

These 2 wayland compositors have freebsd packages

labwc

Code:
sudo pkg install labwc

Code:
labwc-0.7.0_1                  Wayland stacking compositor

enlightenment

Code:
sudo pkg install enlightenment

Code:
enlightenment-0.26.0,2         Artistic and fast X window manager

exporting the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR in your shell config is usually needed for hardware acceleration for video
and for wayland window managers

if you cant export the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR in your shell you will have issue with things not working down the road

have you tried using a different shell like bash or zsh
and exporting the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

then seeing if wayfire works
wayfire may not be broken it could be your set up thats the issue

so you need to rule that possibility

I found an old tutorial about how to configure Wayland.

2) Extra stuff.

- There are some extra environment variables you can set in your shell. Some are :

Code:
MOZ_WAYLAND_ENABLE=1 If you use firefox (and thunderbird)
GDK_BACKEND=wayland For gtk packages
QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland For qt5 packages. Requires qt5-wayland manual install
TERMINAL=alacritty Doesn't hurt to have, required by hikari if you decide to use it. change accordingly
Some others that I didn't find necessary, but...
XDG_DEFAULT_RULES=evdev
SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland
CLUTTER_BACKEND=wayland
QT_WAYLAND_DISABLE_WINDOWDECORATION=1 (never saw a difference really)

It does not explain how to set up these variables using csh for a permanent usage. Maybe they go in :

/home/marietto/.cshrc

like this : ?

Code:
setenv MOZ_WAYLAND_ENABLE=1
setenv GDK_BACKEND=wayland   
setenv QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
setenv TERMINAL=alacritty
setenv XDG_DEFAULT_RULES=evdev
setenv SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland
setenv CLUTTER_BACKEND=wayland
setenv QT_WAYLAND_DISABLE_WINDOWDECORATION=1

Back