Let's start a new project : let's create a new mobile device powered by FreeBSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the Pinephone:

1. The first step would be to create a bootable image (Pinephone has an Allwinner 64, Pinephone pro has Rockckip RS 3399S). Arm mailing list may help with this.

3. Then get the image to the official website (freebsd.org/where).

4. Write a tutorial or make a youtube video on how to flash that image on the Pinephone.

5. Now people with a pinephone can start to write drivers and test them, or write userland stuff and test that, depending on their preferences and skills.

6. Make a wiki page of what works and what doesn't.

7. Make more and more people get interested..

Why,man,everyone wants that someone else do that ? Can you answer this question ? I think that the reason why it seems impossible to create a group of users which works together can be found giving an answer to that question.

Posting a message of help here and there,a developer gave to me a very good website,full of useful documentation to port NuttX RTOS on the pinephone. Is the documentation that you find here,enough for you to start the project ? I hope that the informations provided there,even if they aren't tailored for FreeBSD,are anyway,in some way,useful.

why is not enough for me I have already explained. I'm here more to LEARN,to give inputs,to find informations,to stimulate,to give the help that I'm able to do.

you know what's missing. You didn't create a phone,but a sandwich. Several years ago I did something like that. Yes,it's easy,but it's not what I want and no one wants here.

Haha. People *do* want it. They just don't know it yet. This is where a large marketing budget comes in ;)

I already have the slogans:
  • "If your phone is not a wellington boot. You are not modern."
  • "The boot phone is too advanced for Xorg; it is Wayland only because it needs extreme advanced un-oldness."
  • "Think boot-like; not boot-lick"
  • "Also comes in.... brown!"

🥾 🐕 👢 👟 ⛸ (hoping at least some of these render as boots)

i have a development board that can run android or firefox os based on mtk 6572. cpu performance/core is on par with allwinner h3
unfortunately the firefox os device specific source is not available (it was build by alcatel not by mozilla)
got it for $6 on aliexpress
debian runs okish (no 3g or video support)
256MB RAM 512MB nand (as in shitty nand not emmc)
if someone wants to port freebsd to it at least its cheap to start :)

Woah, if you want a FreeBSD phone just start working on it. Once it's somewhat working you may get some interest from others. But you may not.

1684443930067.png

ok guys. Good luck with your personal projects.

A project like this is going to require a lot of focused and coordinated effort. Think about how the FreeBSD Project is ran, it's a self governed entity. The main thing to think about is relationships with driver vendors. There's a reason why most enterprise storage and network vendors, and internet exchanges use FreeBSD. Developers need something to tinker with, and an environment (ie. tools, etc.) for them to facilitate tinkering.

If you really want others to do the work for you; you will need money and an action plan. You could, say, start a separate software initiative (what SirDice said) with a mission statement, maybe some documentation and milestone goals to get things started; at least people can have something to follow. But you need to take the initiative first. You said you're an administrator by hobby, right? This shouldn't be too difficult; you just need to write some stuff.

I think 1 problem with smartphones in common is that no manufacturer wil produce anything that provides 100% of the machine's capabilities to the end user.
Does this Pinephone boot from a external volume? And after that, do we have "hard" I/O without requiring closed source data or mandatory interactive configuration per system?

I think 1 problem with smartphones in common is that no manufacturer wil produce anything that provides 100% of the machine's capabilities to the end user.
Does this Pinephone boot from a external volume? And after that, do we have "hard" I/O without requiring closed source data or mandatory interactive configuration per system?
As far as what I have found online it's the binary drivers for the network modem and a some other important bits like gpu.

Alright folks. As usual with these types of threads: Everything has been said in the first few posts already. There is little I can add in terms of showing a different direction or angle. However, what I could offer is some insights of someone who actually designs, implements & maintains embedded systems both professionally and as a hobby where I work extensively with proprietary silicon, firmware & software (which is very relevant in this context).

I started typing a rather lengthily explanation on this but concluded that ziomario would probably decide to misuse the words anyway and then blame us for "not trying", "not caring" or using some basic psychology concepts to incorrectly conclude that someone who doesn't want to attempt something does so because they are mentally blocked or having "pleasure problems" rather than just having the actual knowledge required to understand the consequences of pursuing such a project.

As such, I leave it up to you guys: Are you interested in the subjective views & experience of a person actually earning their money in this sort of field?

Alright folks. As usual with these types of threads: Everything has been said in the first few posts already. There is little I can add in terms of showing a different direction or angle. However, what I could offer is some insights of someone who actually designs, implements & maintains embedded systems both professionally and as a hobby where I work extensively with proprietary silicon, firmware & software (which is very relevant in this context).

I started typing a rather lengthily explanation on this but concluded that ziomario would probably decide to misuse the words anyway and then blame us for "not trying", "not caring" or using some basic psychology concepts to incorrectly conclude that someone who doesn't want to attempt something does so because they are mentally blocked or having "pleasure problems" rather than just having the actual knowledge required to understand the consequences of pursuing such a project.

As such, I leave it up to you guys: Are you interested in the subjective views & experience of a person actually earning their money in this sort of field?

It seems you have the habit to enlight only what you "want",ignoring some other important sentences explained. And what you want to enlight is used by you (and not only by you),to confirm what you already have decided to do from the very beginning,from the first 2,3 sentences you read : nothing of constructive. For sure not for looking brillant ideas or simply ideas. I imagine that you didn't read or understand some crucial parts of what I wrote because you (and not only you),haven't the time to read the old messages. Or you read it and understand it but you have ignored it because your primary focus is to discredit me and add nothing to the discussion. I said that I'm not tied to the idea of installing FreeBSD on the pinephone. For me its also ok to start a project to port FreeBSD on another kind of interesting device. Which device ? It can be decided by a group of volunteers. I'm not involved in any kind of business,man. I'm retired from work. I try to make the system admin as hobby. I have no earning from this job. I do it for pure pleasure. Your criticisms have all gone off target. My goal here is to learn. I like FreeBSD and I want to expand my knowledge. And I think that the better way to do this is (for me) is learn by doing. And doing (a smaller and easier project for me its ok) within a group is even more useful and more funny. That's all.

• Thanks
Reactions: MG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back