Today i just run "pkg update" and "pkg upgrade", reboot, then server can't boot

check the following pic
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.04.33 AM.png

and currently I just can run the following commands,
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.48.37 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.49.17 AM.png

how can i fix it. Thank you so much!

Today i just run "pkg update" and "pkg upgrade", reboot, then server can't boot
Packages shouldn't touch any of the files you seem to have problems with. Some other issue caused this, not the upgrade of your packages.

That said, what happens if you enter the boot command?

Packages shouldn't touch any of the files you seem to have problems with. Some other issue caused this, not the upgrade of your packages.

That said, what happens if you enter the boot command?
I got "can't load 'kernel'" error
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 2.56.20 AM.png

Thank you so much SirDice, how can I fix this issue, I try to show file cli.lua and core.lua, but I can't
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 3.22.16 AM.png

Version: FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p13 (GENERIC)

The error is with loader_lua(8), more specifically you appear to be missing /boot/lua/core.lua. The lua52, or any other package, has nothing to do with this.

Ok, there might be more missing. How was this system booted before? UEFI or BIOS boot? Recently upgraded (freebsd-update(8))?
How was this system booted before? UEFI or BIOS boot?
This is a remote server, I think it is UEFI
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 3.54.50 AM.png

Recently upgraded (freebsd-update(8))?
no

Currently I did the following step
1. Boot from Live CD (13.0)
2. ran zpool import
zpool import
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 2.35.14 PM.png

mkdir /tmp/zroot
zpool import -R /tmp/zroot zroot
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 2.36.31 PM.png

But I still can't find and access /boot on my /tmp/zroot folder. There is another empty zroot under /temp/zroot folder.

What do I need to do on the next step?

I did the following step, but /tmp/root is empty. It seems mount failed, but I don't get any error messages.

mkdir /tmp/root
zfs set mountpoint=/tmp/root zroot/ROOT/default
zfs mount zroot/ROOT/default
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 3.11.04 PM.png

Oh, it mounted to /tmp/zroot/tmp/root folder, but I confuse this, I thought it should be mount to /tmp/root.

Now I can access server folder.
How can I fix this boot issue? Thanks

Found these threads related to your problem:

There is one comment that may fix your issue, but I am not sure of that at all, so be careful, read the entire thread before doing anything and look also at the bug reports:

Side note, your server is on 13.0-RELEASE, it's out of date, 13.3 is the last one.

If you ran pkg upgrade successfully, you're not on 13.0-RELEASE. I think this is the version of your boot media. You show an I/O error trying to read the file cli.lua. I would try a zpool scrub. As you are on a ZFS mirror, you have a chance to correct some errors if errors there are.

By the way, you don't boot on EFI but on legacy BIOS if I trust what gpart shows.

Thanks gotnull

I find the problem, there is a coretemp.ko file on the /boot/kernel. I can't find core.ko
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.41.56 PM.png

and I also find amdtemp.ko and ow_temp.ko

If you ran pkg upgrade successfully, you're not on 13.0-RELEASE. I think this is the version of your boot media. You show an I/O error trying to read the file cli.lua. I would try a zpool scrub. As you are on a ZFS mirror, you have a chance to correct some errors if errors there are.

By the way, you don't boot on EFI but on legacy BIOS if I trust what gpart shows.
server's version is FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p13 (GENERIC) when I ran pkg upgrade.

I can open cli.lua file from zfs file system on live CD, so I think the file is well

I cp the kernel folder to kernel.new, then I restore the kernel folder from kernal.old folder. Same error messages received when server reboot

Back