Exactly how bad is gaming on FreeBSD?

I have only tested some of my steam collection in Suyimazu. I have tested very few in linux-steam-utils as well. But here are the games that I have tested and are working in Suyimazu.

This is not a complete list. I'm still testing. Will post my test data to the Suyimazu wiki soon. Hope this helps!

8infinity
Age of Wonders 2: The Wizard's Throne
Airscape: The Fall of Gravity
Alien: Isolation
Aliens vs. Predator
America's Army: Proving Grounds
Ballistic Overkill
Batman Arkham Knight
BattleTime
Black Mesa
Blockstorm
Caveman World: Mountains of Unga Boonga
Chesster
Color Syndrome
Crash Drive 2
CrazyCars3D
Day of Defeat
Dead Island Definitive Edition
Deadfall Adventures
Defend The Highlands
Dispersio
Distance
The Dolls
DOOM 2016
The Dweller
Dying Light
Gunscape
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life: C.A.G.E.D.
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Source
HardCube
Hitman: Codename 47
Hitman 2
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Contracts
Hitman: Absolution
Jelly Killer
Job the Leprechaun
Killing Floor
Kona
Krautscape
The Last NightMary
Left 4 Dead 2
LEGO Batman The Videogame
LEGO Batman 2 : DC Super Heroes
LEGO Batman 3 : Beyond Gothan
Life Goes On
Lifeless Planet
Linea, the games
Lines X
Masky
Metro 2033 Redux
Metro Exodus
Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition
Metro: Last Light Redux
Millie
Neighbours from Hell
Neon Space
NEON STRUCT
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
Our Wonderful World
Outlast
PAC-MAN 256
Pixel Boy and the Ever Expanding Dungeon
Portal
Portal 2
POSTAL 2
Qbike:Crypto Motocycles
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball
Rochard
Rocket League
Shadow Warrior
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux
SHOWTIME 2073
Shut Eye
Silent Storm
SkyTime
SnakEscape
Sparkle ZERO
Spin Rush
Spirits of Xanadu
Splatter - Zombiecalypse Now
State of Anarchy Complete: Master of Mayhem
Survivor Squad
Team Fortress Classic
Team Fortress 2
Teddy Floppy Ear : Kayaking
Toki Tori
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory
Vengeance
Verde Station
Verdun
Viscera Cleanup Detail:Shadow Warrior
WayOut
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
World of Guns:Gun Disassembly
Wrecked
Zombillie
What it is your hardware setup?

I tested Metro Exodus and LEGO titles with an RX 5700 XT. But all other titles were tested with the following.

EDIT: The RX 5700 XT is also using an i7-3770 with 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz and a 1440p 165hz display. Also using SSD storage on that system. I don't use that system very often.

My main Machine:
(Used to have RX 6400 but it's not currently working with FreeBSD so I switched to an alternative low power GPU)

Radeon RX 560 DE (low power OEM part with 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0)
20GB DDR3 1600Mhz (2x 8GB + 2x 2GB)
Intel i7-3770 (Non-K on 120MM AIO - This is due to my case which was made in the 80s so it doesn't cool on air very well)
SSD Storage (1X 960GB SATA III SSD 1x 480GB SATA III SSD - Raid 0 ZFS)
ViewSonic E771 17" CRT at 1024x768 75hz ( I play some titles in 1280x1024 at 60Hz as well)

I've been thinking about finally ditching Windows all together in my life. I currently use Windows 10 on my gaming computer.
All of the games I'm concerned about do run on Linux (most are on Steam).
I run FreeBSD on my secondary desktop and my primary laptop (no dualboot, 100% full time FreeBSD on those).
I would like to know how often a game that works on Linux typically fails on FreeBSD - is it even worth considering?
Otherwise, if it's not worth considering, I'm planning on just putting Slackware on my gaming computer.

Side note: Has anyone tried the newest version of Unreal Tournament 99; does it work with FreeBSD?
Suyimazu Wine Based Application Launcher for FreeBSD. updated 09/2023 deprecated to Mizuma, update 11/2023
Suyimazu is a launcher that aims to help you run a list of applications in Wine with a few simple clicks on FreeBSD. Also installs SteamOS to your FreeBSD.
https://codeberg.org/Alexander88207/Suyimazu

Mizutamari https://codeberg.org/Alexander88207/Mizutamari Replaces Suyimazu, Wine front-end for FreeBSD
https://www.freshports.org/games/mizuma/
Mizutamari is a launcher that aims to help you run a list of Windows applications in Wine with a few simple clicks on FreeBSD.
If there is an application that you want to have in that list then you can create an request for that application.
Installation

To install Mizuma from the FreeBSD repositories along with all dependencies, execute:
pkg install mizuma

https://codeberg.org/Alexander88207/Mizutamari/src/branch/main/Docs/Working-Games.md
https://www.freshports.org/games/suyimazu
Robonuggie video Say Hello to Suyimazu
Suyimazu 37 minute video explanation on how to use Suyimazu
http://puppylinux-or-pcbsd.blogspot.com/2022/02/suyimazu-gaming-with-steam-on-ghostbsd_6.html
Install Suyimazu first, the from inside Suyimazu install SteamOS and install WINE.

I liked that LibreQuest has tested so many Steam Games and verified they do wok fine.
Install Suyimazu, From inside Suyimazu 'Install Steam" "Install Wine" next test your game playing ability.

Last edited:
Gaming is great on FreeBSD plus there are tons of online games.
Usually not the kind you can find in store shelves close to where you live... you have to know where to look for what's even available on FreeBSD... what's available is not bad at all, just not the same stuff you'd see on local store shelves.

You can use wine-proton with Mizuma by modifying the Mizuma config file to use wine-proton. Install wine-proton with 'pkg install wine-proton' as root. Open the Mizuma configuration file in home/user/.config/Mizutamari.conf. If .config isn't present in your home directory, press ctrl+h. In the configuration file, find the line that specifies the default wine path and change it from /usr/local/bin to usr/local/wine-proton/bin. Reinstall Steam if you previously installed it with default Wine. Cheers.

I haven't used it yet but something like Geforce Now probably fills any gaps in FreeBSD gaming requirements. The system requirements are pretty low, just an up to date web browser, and probably widewine, and decent internet.

I haven't used it yet but something like Geforce Now probably fills any gaps in FreeBSD gaming requirements. The system requirements are pretty low, just an up to date web browser, and probably widewine, and decent internet.
The problem with GeForce Now is not only can there be a queue and a ton of latency, but you are also only limited to 1 hour a day of playtime, which is unacceptable for many people.

The problem with GeForce Now is not only can there be a queue and a ton of latency, but you are also only limited to 1 hour a day of playtime, which is unacceptable for many people.
In the "free" tier, but 20 quid a month for the eight-hour session and the highest performance tier isn't bad. Especially compared to paying for an RTX 4090.

Steam Link is working with Mizuma. I just tried the Steam Link app on my phone. Everything works as expected.
Need to try this, I was under the impression it didn't work. But I actually meant the other way around, the steam link app running on FreeBSD. There is a Linux steam link application, I've used it on RetroPie. I'm trying to build a system similar to RetroPie but with FreeBSD as a base. RetroArch works great but still having some issues getting EmulationStation to work properly.

Need to try this, I was under the impression it didn't work. But I actually meant the other way around, the steam link app running on FreeBSD. There is a Linux steam link application, I've used it on RetroPie. I'm trying to build a system similar to RetroPie but with FreeBSD as a base. RetroArch works great but still having some issues getting EmulationStation to work properly.
There is a steamlink app that can be installed on raspberry pi but I don't know where the code for this project is located. I wasn't able to find it doing a search. It may be proprietary from valve. I guess the only way you could use it without the source is possibly running some kind of linux arm compat that would allow you to install a deb for arm. But you would also have to translate arm to whatever is native, unless you're running on arm. :D

lol that thing is limited?
not the GPU in the user's machine... but the online gaming server that NVidia hosts or promotes. I bet there's this 'invitation to a gaming server' paper slip included with every 4090 that is sold in a physical cardboard box. And that gaming server is what limits new accounts that were created using that included 'invitation'. 😏

I'd rather pay for access to a decent gym than a gaming server, though...

You can use wine-proton with Mizuma by modifying the Mizuma config file to use wine-proton. Install wine-proton with 'pkg install wine-proton' as root. Open the Mizuma configuration file in home/user/.config/Mizutamari.conf. If .config isn't present in your home directory, press ctrl+h. In the configuration file, find the line that specifies the default wine path and change it from /usr/local/bin to usr/local/wine-proton/bin. Reinstall Steam if you previously installed it with default Wine. Cheers.
I tried this last night and was able to play a few more titles than with wine. I haven't yet added my tested games to the wiki but I will soon. I'm also super stoked about DX12 support being added to the next version.

Back