An admin needs to delete my account

I have been a member since 2009, but seven years ago I stopped because of the repeated actions of another member who had the support of the admins.

Then a few months ago I came back and then saw where another member asked to be deleted because of the same actions which caused me to pause coming here seven years ago. I said then I was going to leave for another seven years because nothing had changed, but after a couple of weeks I started participating again.

A couple of weeks ago, I was personally attacked by an admin (SirDice) in a thread. I have stewed about it since then and have decided this place is toxic, and a large part of the reason is the admins who allow this behavior and even take part in it. I no longer wish to be a registered member. I had used FreeBSD from 1995-2021. As well as AIX from 1995-2019, Solaris from 2003-2021, and Linux from 2006-present; all in the enterprise from a major insurance company to an e-commerce retailer to the largest online e-trading company to a very large North American transportation company to the US DOD, and a few smaller companies in finance and distribution. The systems I worked with were IBM RS/6000 SP2 complexes to IBM RS/6000 S80s to Sun Fire e2900s and Sun Fire e6800s to 50,000 servers in 3 data centers. I don't need--or want--to have personal attacks from an admin questioning my abilities.

If that is what people here enjoy doing and they derive pleasure from it, then by all means, continue. I'm sure the admins will continue to placate the behavior and also participate. It has been ongoing for several years and immediately after my self-imposed seven-year hiatus, I found it never stopped.

I'm certain there will be comments personally attacking me for making these remarks; and I hope there are. It will just offer validation of what I wrote. Please delete my account.

A couple of weeks ago, I was personally attacked by an admin (SirDice) in a thread.
Ah yes, the dreaded SirDice. He's known for his completely unjustified asshole behavior. Probably the single worst person I ever knew.

I don't need--or want--to have personal attacks from an admin questioning my abilities.

1708878190349.png

How dare you being direct & helpful!

I don't need--or want--to have personal attacks from an admin questioning my abilities.
If I may ask: Can you provide the instance where you felt personally attacked or your abilities questioned?

I'm certain there will be comments personally attacking me for making these remarks; and I hope there are. It will just offer validation of what I wrote. Please delete my account.
As any recent-years-long-time-member of this forum can attest, I usually don't engage in drama like this. However, SirDice is probably one of the most helpful, patient & forthcoming people I ever met. So apologies for breaking my no-drama rule :)

Ho come on! Do not delete your account just for one sentence.
I saw the said thread at that time at that time and thought he misread what you meant, after that you answered him and that was it, the exchange was gentle and not that bad to be honest.
Do not take it too personal, I mean we don't really know what are the reasons why people can suddenly act in a way we don't expect, it just happens, everyone can have a s$$$y day.
I don't know if you noticed, but he also gives a numerous of actually very informative responses to people that seek for help.
Focus on positive aspect rather than the rest, I am sure you can even forgive him, after all what happened was really not a big deal.
Plus having experienced guy like you around is a bonus for new comers, it is one of the reason why this forum is enjoyable and have good knowledge, so don't quit for so little.

I had used FreeBSD from 1995-2021. As well as AIX from 1995-2019, Solaris from 2003-2021, and Linux from 2006-present; all in the enterprise from a major insurance company to an e-commerce retailer to the largest online e-trading company to a very large North American transportation company to the US DOD, and a few smaller companies in finance and distribution. The systems I worked with were IBM RS/6000 SP2 complexes to IBM RS/6000 S80s to Sun Fire e2900s and Sun Fire e6800s to 50,000 servers in 3 data centers.
That is awesome!

How dare you being direct & helpful!

There is something in the air.

I have moderator privileges on Stack Overflow. Today I got an email saying I was too direct when I comment on people's Q&As by copying and linking them to the SO rules when they violate the SO rules. And---horrors!---I would bold the rule if they insisted on arguing with me about it. They wanted me to be nice and not do that anymore. So I quit.

That is awesome!
A lot of baggage to be wasted.

Not just this forum but almost every one I've ever been part of; the dramitc exit.
And I always think "Why?"
Over time, we end up exposing personal data. You simply want to exercise your right to be forgotten, even if you only use your last name.

gpatrick Either way, it's your choice, shake it off and move on, it's just a forum.

I can empathize with this person, the replies here aren't going to change their mind, and think we should delete their account and this thread.

It's not that easy. Locking the account is possible. Removing all postings it made ain't gonna work out. It will create holes in threads. So if you want all your postings to be made by $RANDOM_USER, ok. And that won't save you from internet archives. What shall it be?

Reactions: mer
I was going to say, this might all be a cultural misunderstanding. If I'm not mistaken, Sir Dice comes from the wonderful nation of the Netherlands. And if Dutch people are like Germans, which seems like a fair assumption since they're neighbouring nations with some shared culture, then you may be mistaking a helpful/correct albeit 'tough love' style answer for rudeness. Germans, especially in public-facing jobs and in the workplace, are infamous for their perceived impoliteness, directness and open criticism of their colleagues. It's just the way they are, it's nothing personal.

I'm Belgian. The small country next to Netherlands with same language. I can relate.
We are polite,direct but it's very hard to offend us.

There is no limitation, I just would like OP's inherent stupidity to be on display. It's also useful to have some reference material for comparison, since OP is known for creating at least one alt account during "hiatus". That way those accounts will be banned a bit quicker, hopefully.

Americans think Euros are Dicks and vice versa. Dice is helpful and annoying simultaneously. He likes to tell people what they want help with is EOL, which isn't helpful.

Just change his screen name and email and he'll never know the difference.

Barney

He likes to tell people what they want help with is EOL, which isn't helpful.

In other words, he's following the rules. EOL versions are not supported on this forum.

By forum's Privacy policy he has right to have his account removed. This also follows GDPR (which is good).
The policy does not apply to the posts.

I just don't understand this public show off. OP should follow terms and rules, contact admins and ask for removal.
Attention seeking, as usual. This isn't the first or even the second "people are mean to me, I'm leaving" post from that person. (I even responded to one of them in the past in a relatively friendly tone. That arguably was a mistake.)

The policy does not apply to the posts
Right, that would, as Crivens mentioned above, create also inconsistencies on forums. It's just account and private data around it. So threads are not linked to name then. While way back machine can help there I think nobody cares that much (or at least almost nobody ;) ).

Back