ZFS: unsupported compression algorithm gzip-6

Hi all,

I'm on a FreeBSD 10, with ZFS on Root. I've done a freebsd-update(8) fetch and install, with no problems. But when I try to reboot, I've the following messages:
Code:
ZFS: unsupported compression algorithm gzip-6
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
don't know how to load module '/boot/kernel/kernel'
Error while including /boot/menu.rc, in the line:
menu-display
Google won't help me, I've just find this:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-December/010306.html

So I've boot on a FreeBSD 10.3 live cd, import my zfs pool and set compression=off, but this don't work.

Any help would be welcome
Thanks in advance :)

PS: Sorry for my bad English ;-)

I would boot off the 10.3 CD and rewrite the boot partitions on the disk. If they're GPT partitioned you would normally run the following -

Code:
gpart bootcode -b /path/to/cd/boot/pmbr -p /path/to/cd/boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 adaX

Changing compression to off won't magically uncompress existing files. Those will still be compressed. Changing that setting only affects new files.

I would boot off the 10.3 CD and rewrite the boot partitions on the disk. If they're GPT partitioned you would normally run the following -

Code:
gpart bootcode -b /path/to/cd/boot/pmbr -p /path/to/cd/boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 adaX

Thanks usdmatt, I've tied, but that's don't solve the problem.

Changing compression to off won't magically uncompress existing files. Those will still be compressed. Changing that setting only affects new files.

Thanks SirDice, I've understand this after posting, the compressratio haven't move. Is there a way to force it?

Solved:
Boot off 10.3 CD
zpool import -fR /mnt zroot
cd /mnt
mv boot boot.bak
cp -R boot.bak boot
reboot

Works like a charm, sorry for the noise

Thanks again

I've understand this after posting, the compressratio haven't move. Is there a way to force it?
No. The only way to uncompress those files is to read the files and write them again. The write action will use the new setting.

Back