ZFS ZFS Snapshot handling with only zfsroot

Please allow me a question!

My Home-Server has zfsroot and an additional zfs-pools under /mnt/Pool-1 /mnt/Pool-SSD. There I use bectl for boot-environments and create regular snapshots from the zfs-pools under /mnt. (so far so good...)

My WEB and mailserver only has a zfsroot, what would be your preferred way to do snapshots for my emails etc ...

...mmmhhhh - while I was writing, I think I should use bectl for boot-environments and do regular recursive snapshots for /zroot/usr and /zroot/var ...

Do you have any better idea?

Thanks in advance!

create regular snapshots from the zfs-pools under /mnt.
Just a tip, /mnt is meant to be used as a temporary mount point, not a permanent one.

Code:
     /mnt/      empty directory commonly used by system administrators as a
                temporary mount point
From hier(7).

I think I should use bectl for boot-environments and do regular recursive snapshots for /zroot/usr and /zroot/var ...
Yes, sysutils/zfsnap is useful. There are a number of other tools you can use too.

Just a tip, /mnt is meant to be used as a temporary mount point, not a permanent one.

Code:
     /mnt/      empty directory commonly used by system administrators as a
                temporary mount point
From hier(7).

Oh! Thanks for the info! I always used it for NFS-mounts, USB etc. and got the idea for /mnt/Pool-1 for zfs-pools from a FreeNAS installation.
(might be possible, that FreeNAS was asking for a mount point, can't remember the 5 year old installation process ...)

Where do you create the pools, maybe /zfs or /pools or - because I export them via smb and nfs - under /exports (which I did in the past, before I gave zfs a try)? What would you recommend?

Oh! Thanks for the info!
No worries. I often see it in various tutorials too. It's one of my many pet peeves.

Where do you create the pools, maybe /zfs or /pools or - because I export them via smb and nfs - under /exports (which I did in the past, before I gave zfs a try)? What would you recommend?
Be creative. I often see /data, /sto, /storage and /exports. The latter is typically used when the filesystems are meant to be exported (NFS, Samba, etc).

Back