ZFS zfs snapshot backups

HI all,

Just wondering what the best way to back up snapshots to another driver is?

ie: I have a 1tb zpool and 120gig pool for backups. Is it possible to just store the snapshots to the backup pool .. in the event that zpool blows up beyond repair.. I should be able to just reinstall, create a new zpool and restore the snapshot from the backup pool?

all the drives are on the same machine.

thanks

Just wondering what the best way to back up snapshots to another driver is?
That's the zfs send/receive command. Sure you can rely on 3rd party tools but I'd seriously recommend against that. Because ask yourself this: in case of an emergency it's not uncommon to fire up a FreeBSD rescue environment to fix the problems. You'll have access to the base commands such as zfs and zpool but what about your 3rd party tool?

The best option is to make snapshots ( # zfs snapshot) and then send those to a remote storage (using zfs send). See also the zfs(8) manualpage.

ie: I have a 1tb zpool and 120gig pool for backups. Is it possible to just store the snapshots to the backup pool
Sure, using the option I mentioned above. You could consider storing the snapshots in file format (this will be easier on your storage space) but you could also opt to simply copy / install the entire filesystem which can make restoration and accessibility easier.

all the drives are on the same machine.
That's not much of a backup then, what if the machine itself goes bonkers?

Seriously, this sounds like a problematic scenario to me. First: why even bother? If you make regular snapshots and your pools are set up in a redundant way (RAID) then that will have the exact same effect. Sending the data to another pool on the same machine isn't very useful. Also because you can access those snapshots at any given time and use that to restore data if needed (you don't even have to rollback the snapshot because you can access the individual files, see the hidden .zfs directory in the root of every ZFS filesystem).

However... also not totally unuseful I suppose because if something were to happen with the first pool (data corruption?) then you'd probably still have your data. However, that is of course assuming that the cause of the corruption didn't also spread to your other drives / pools.

Generally speaking: making backups on the same machine isn't much of a backup.

see the hidden .zfs directory in the root of every ZFS filesystem).

that's totally what I was missing the files themselves.. thank you!

Just to clarify.. my main pool is a 1+0 array with 4 drives.. so if i loose a drive or similar, I can rebuild it and go about my way as normal.

When I say my backup pool is on the same system, It's actually a USB drive that I plug in, make active copy the snapshots onto and toss it in the drawer.

So in the event my power supply blows up and fries 3 of my drives or some other catastrophe like that.. I would simply replace all the drives.. install a fresh os, build a new pool and the reattach the usb drive and copy the snapshot and restore my nas pool to the new array.

Is that a possibility?

Back