ZFS ZFS pools disappearing (VMs)

So right now, I'm using FreeNAS, but I'm going to move to FreeBSD because I'm going to try things with jails and docker. FreeNAS is buggy with them so I'm moving here. But before I do, I thought I would setup a VM to make sure I don't run the risk of losing my data.

So far, I've been able to answer my problems through research. But I can't get this one. Anyways, onward.

I am getting this setup as close as possible to what I will be doing when I make the switch. So, I have 2 VMs, one is FreeBSD, the other is FreeNAS. I made 4 10GB HDDs. I booted FreeNAS and made my raidz2 pool and put some data on it. Now, obviously, the FreeBSD and FreeNAS VMs share the same disk. So, I booted up FreeBSD, and enabled zfs. I do zpool import. It imports the pool and everything is ok. Now, sometime later when I'm not doing anything on the VM, the pool disappears. I do zpool status and I get "no pools available." Am I forgetting to do something? What could be doing that?

I'm not sure if this is FreeBSD related or if it's hypervisor related. If it's hypervisor related, I do apologies for posting here.

If both VMs share the same "disks" and both VMs are active, that's going to cause problems. I'm not sure what ZFS would do but I'm sure it won't like it when 2 machines use the same pool at the same time.

If both VMs share the same "disks" and both VMs are active, that's going to cause problems. I'm not sure what ZFS would do but I'm sure it won't like it when 2 machines use the same pool at the same time.

They aren't activate at the same time. The only VM that is running is the FreeBSD one.

Wow. I am really dumb. I was under the impression you just did zpool import and it would import what it found. Turns out you need to tell it which pool to import. Oops.

Back