Other ZFS and UFS difference

DO NOT quote my post into another thread to bait me into discussion. Don't do it.
Y'know, I get hot-headed myself when I see people make unsafe decisions with mushrooms.
--
I do think that in the context of this thread, the onus is on you to police yourself and to express yourself a bit differently. For example, instead of saying 'FreeBSD is making a mistake not implementing XFS', you could say something like 'I disagree with FreeBSD's decision to not include XFS in ports or base'. This forum is for technical discussions, preferably level-headed ones. It's OK to disagree on technical points, but in the end, it's your machine, and your decision what to do about a technical issue.

I do think that in the context of this thread
I think that's the point - the quote was NOT in the context of this thread. Yes, it (the quote) seems to be the same topic, but taken from another thread.

I'm not particularly following what's been said or agreeing/disagreeing with any one point of view or another, but I don't think it's right to copy quotes from other threads, especially when the intention seems to be to inflame.

Is there something in the water - lots of threads seem to be ending up in what feels like non-technical flamery?

I think that's the point - the quote was NOT in the context of this thread. Yes, it (the quote) seems to be the same topic, but taken from another thread.

I'm not particularly following what's been said or agreeing/disagreeing with any one point of view or another, but I don't think it's right to copy quotes from other threads, especially when the intention seems to be to inflame.

Is there something in the water - lots of threads seem to be ending up in what feels like non-technical flamery?
There is - a dev from the FreeBSD foundation started a thread here, looking for project ideas. The discord seems to be over what's an appropriate request, what's not, and why. Everybody seems to have a pet feature that they like/dislike, and there's some users with pretty strong opinions. 😩

Y'know, I get hot-headed myself when I see people make unsafe decisions with mushrooms.
--
I do think that in the context of this thread, the onus is on you to police yourself and to express yourself a bit differently. For example, instead of saying 'FreeBSD is making a mistake not implementing XFS', you could say something like 'I disagree with FreeBSD's decision to not include XFS in ports or base'. This forum is for technical discussions, preferably level-headed ones. It's OK to disagree on technical points, but in the end, it's your machine, and your decision what to do about a technical issue.
Actually I do agree with Kitsune here - what Grahamperrin has done, namely putting an out of thread of Kitsune here into this thread to which he never contributed, is bad behaviour.

Also his posts after that do not contribute to the topic of the thread, instead are crafted to derail the original topic and relight a flame war between himself and Kitsune because the original discussion, in which Kitsune discussed XFS, is closed now.

So trying to bring that little thing over from a closed thread over to here just to continue where it stopped in the closed thread rightfully, is quite annoying behaviour.

This background filesystem check is not the end of the world. I can live without it.
I used on linux jfs, and it did not had a background filesystem check.

If I understand correctly, it's not ideal to have an inconsistent file system. I suppose, a concern is that a person might not know of an inconsistency until:
  • it's observed in /var/log/messages; or
  • the system noticeably worsens as a result of the non-fixed inconsistency (or series of non-fixed inconsistencies).

A very good resource about various topics of FreeBSD setup is http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/index.html. In the past wblock@ has been very active. As far as I know he has been (one of) the leader of the documentation project. I am sure that almost everybody has found answers from him when digging in the forum. The articles are comprehensive and a must read for new users - at least in my opinion.

Back