YouTube not working in Firefox

So if I want to play video on youtube, that not works, I should kill Firefox, and start again, so video working in 70% chances, you giving advice to set dom.ipc.plugin.enable to false, so some videos should work, but some doesn't, so what is the point?
Any solution to configure FF 25.01 to work well without restarting each time asking me to install a plugin that is already installed?
Thanks.

Did not work for me. Firefox hangs completely (not crashing) as soon as I start a YouTube video. The cure for me was:

Code:
# mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin
# ln -s  /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/

@laufdi, you should not have to do that anymore. I didn't read through this thread but I had an issue with Flash on Chrome recently. Reinstalling nspluginwrapper fixed it, though reinstalling linux-f10-flashplugin11 first may have helped (I don't think so).

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing with 11.0-CURRENT mainly because of protocelt's mention of the improvements they saw) and ran into the same problem with Flash on YouTube. Using the dom.ipc.plugins.enable to false still fixes it.

Ah, then HTML5 issues were fixed with that dom.ipc option. I thought that there was still a lot of Flash on it. I could swear that at least sometimes, as I have autoplay turned off, that it will ask if I want to allow the Flash plugin.

The problem still exists on some installations. Youtube videos will only play once or Firefox just hangs. There is no longer any dom.ipc.plugins.enabled in about:config.

Hi friends it has started again. Video on youtube on firefox is not working, however it is working on Arora

Code:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD noname.noname.edu 10.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE #0 r274401: Tue Nov 11 22:51:51 UTC 2014     root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

$ firefox -v
Mozilla Firefox 47.0.1

The error on the youtube page is

Code:
If playback doesn't begin shortly try restarting your device

about:plugins

Code:
OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc.
File:
Path:
Version: null
State: Enabled
This plugin is automatically installed by Mozilla to comply with the WebRTC specification and to enable WebRTC calls with devices that require the H.264 video codec. Visit http://www.openh264.org/ to view the codec source code and learn more about the implementation.

Code:
OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc. will be installed shortly

Any suggestions please

I haven't had any issues with Youtube and Firefox in a long time. Alot of videos run in HTML5 without any effort on my part.

No trouble here too. FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE amd64 with firefox-47.0.1_2,1. Either in HTML5 version or with Flash version via Linux Flash (with YouTube Flash video plugin).

Working not too badly here on 10.1 but there are indeed quite a few sites still using flash on some videos, especially large sites. I guess they didn't get the memo.

Maybe we are talking about different "youtube"s :D
Youtube work fine for me on Firefox 47 and Seamonkey with HTML5 or Flash player (with pipelight) (FreeBSD 10.3 amd64).
Maybe it's one of your FF extensions blocking it, try to remove/rename your profile ~/.mozilla/firefox and restart firefox.

Could also be something in about:config. It's easy to forget what one has done in there over the months.

As I stated three years ago, and last year, YouTube videos work just fine for me in Firefox. Firefox, for those who don't know, is dropping all support for Flash this year but YouTube defaults to HTML5 video.

Firefox actually works with HTML5 on FreeBSD and Linux too. And now there isn't problem with Youtube.
You can open Youtube stream in VLC too.

SmarterWasabi Your list is pretty lame and point 4 does not apply to Firefox, or any browser, as they all support HTML5. As this is your very first post, it's years old, and it points to a certain web site on this specific subject, I question your intentions.

Back