youtube not playing videos in firefox

All,
I had the very similar problem. videos on youtube did not want to play at all (it was spinning and nopt moving forward)
It turned out that it is very important to select correct graphics divers
I will put here three different settings of kld_list option

Code:
# for graphics for Intel HD graphics 4400 Haswell

# youtube does not work in firefox
#kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko fuse" 

# firefox wikth youtube works but logitech nano receiver not  :-(
#kld_list="/boot/kernel/i915kms.ko fuse"

#everything works, youtube and logitech nano receiver
kld_list="i915kms.ko fuse"

I am running FreeBSD 12.1 at Lenovo ThinkPad x240 with Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller, Intel® HD4400 Graphics.

BR Jacek Kowalczyk

So, the driver from boot/modules didn't work, the one from boot/kernel did work partly and now you are running i915kms.ko? But which one is actually loaded now?

Pretty sure the video driver has zero to do with whether or not www/firefox can play videos. The only thing I can think of that may be related is the system was running under vesa mode, but I have never actually run anything in that mode so can't speak to how it would affect www/firefox.

It's not only Firefox. I used all kind of browsers and none of them were able to play YouTube videos. Normal videos (local) were no problem.

So, to sum it up, the only problem you have is your browsers not being able to play YouTube videos? With your soundcard working fine and video stuff performing as well in all other things except playing videos on YouTube?

You may try to refresh Firefox settings. Although Firefox is supposed to come with normal defaults, this option is to set things right in case it doesn't.
Another guess is -- network connectivity problems. Yes, because YouTube videos play well in VB, which has networking settings of its own, doesn't it. And YouTube videos playback firstly depends on networking. So then, something that blocks network videos in your normal installation doesn't block them for VB. That's reasonable because VB takes care of its network.
Because hardware doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser's inability to play videos when other programs in the same installation play video all right.

I'd be curious if they'd play using mpv--maybe download the video with youtube-download or similar then see if it plays. Firefox has done some dumb things with audo. I thought it was reserved for Linux, but for one, you had to recompile if not using pulse audio.

And never mind, you answered my question.

Just thought I would bump this thread, as I am having this problem too. The video images show up but the videos won't play in Chromium or Firefox (including ESR).

Stats:
FreeBSD 12.1
Radeon R9 Nano on drm-kmod 4.16 out of the repos.

I think I will try to build drm-kmod-devel from ports and see if it works, as it seems to be a hardware/driver issue.

Can confirm that this is solved by upgrading to 13.0-CURRENT and using the drm-devel-kmod package out of ports. When I go back to 12, interestingly, the video works when I'm only running fluxbox. However, when I install MATE (with pulseaudio, of course) it doesn't work. So, i'm assuming it's a driver issue or perhaps a pulseaudio issue.. Perhaps with HDMI / DP output.

...So, i'm assuming it's a driver issue or perhaps a pulseaudio issue.. Perhaps with HDMI / DP output.
Firefox builds by default have pulseaudio support for sound. So, perhaps, MATE and other complex DEs install some pulseaudio configuration that prevents your sound from working with Firefox. I haven't used GNOME & friends for several years now, and for that same reason: debugging problems becomes very difficult. Simple FVWM2 leaves things simple, doesn't install any additional configuration for applications... and they all "just work" :).
In any case, I wouldn't blame audio playback problems on drm-kmod :). Correct me if I'm wrong, but it stands to reason that drm-kmod driver enables graphical functionality in general -- your X server either will or will not start. If it will, then your apps will as well. But video/audio playback is application level. And audio part depends on audio codecs installed or linked to on your system and the sound system config in general.

I've noticed that on 12.1 I've upgraded to my version of Firefox 78 ESR whenever the video goes to an ad or me skipping the ad, the video will keeps on loading with the spinning wheel. If I choose a random video it'll play the video but when it bumps to an ad it'll usually stuck at the wheel buffer again. It seems this issue occurs when I've upgraded from 11.4 after I loaded the i915.ko driver to set to the correct resolution.

I'm using Konqueror to see if I can reproduce the issue but so far it can handle the ad segment fine with little buffer in between so this seems to be a firefox respective issue.

I just carried out a fresh 12.1 install yesterday and one of first pkg installs is xorg and the second one is pkg install firefox gimp rhythmbox vlc. And all is well with audio and video when viewing youtube. Maybe this may help after you want to deinstall and then reinstall firefox gimp rhythmbox and vlc if you even use those ports. I use MATE as the GUI.

I did a refresh after laying out my options of playing around with autoplay feature and putting the browser into safe mode but the refresh didn't help so I reinstalled firefox to a slightly updated version and it's now able to start playing videos at the beginning and after skipping an ad in between.

Firefox will not play videos in FreeBSD-12.1 installation. This started a few days back, perhaps related to my problem with Gnome session loading getting delayed from GDM screen. Weird! This is a SandyBridge desktop using i915kms from /boot/modules.

@Abraham79 Possibly. Don't know. No problems with Firefox here but I'm not using Gnome
Now, Firefox can play video fine. It seems like the offending line was that of making HDMI audio as default. I removed hw.snd.default_unit=4 from /etc/sysctl.conf and now firefox plays video and audio fine. However, totem and other media players have no audio output. In VLC, if I select audio device > pcm4:virtual:dsp4:vp1 , then audio plays. It's a tricky situation. If I make /dev/dsp4 as default sound output, Firefox stops playing videos.
Code:
~% cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Analog 5.1/2.0)> (play/rec) default
pcm1: <Realtek ALC892 (Front Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm2: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Digital)> (play)
pcm3: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Digital)> (play)
pcm4: <Intel Cougar Point (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
No devices installed from userspace.

However, totem and other media players have no audio output
Now I have given up on Totem long time ago. Somehow it NEVER worked for me for some reason or other. VLC works fine, don't even have to select/deselect different devices. Default configuration works fine as well (in my case, it's hw.snd.default_unit=4 that works)!
In your case, complications seem to stem from your using Gnome. BTW, one of the reasons I stopped using Gnome and other DEs: they screw things up while the installation defaults work fine with some basic minimal desktop.

Then the question is, does your system use ALSA, pulseaudio? These complicate matters further... For me, that is. There are experts of pulseaudio, of course. But since its OSS on FreeBSD and it doesn't need any pulseaudios nor gstreamers to do the job just fine, then why bother, I reason.

After updating from 12.1 to 12.2, I'm still experiencing a behavior where the videos will buffer and won't play whether from YouTube or twitch, I tried open Midori to play a video and causes screen to go black with message saying gpu hung. The only workaround I've tried was logging out of DE and going back reloading the session.

Well I'm having trouble (at times) with YouTube in firefox. Unrelated to which OS version it is. And Yahoo! mail nearly hangs while loading folders. Don't know which it is, the amazing firefox or equally amazing Yahoo! mail service. I suspect both.

Maybe use seamonkey, as some have suggested in some other thread? That one will end up in message like "you need to upgrade your browser to display this page CORRECTLY". Then it will load an older version of Yahoo! mail which works fine without any hangs.

You can switch between modern and classic look of Yahoo! as with Gmail it will ask you to switch if it detects that loading is taking a longer time. Your problem seems more related to loading content from the site mine is from playing videos fine to being stuck but content loads fine.

Back