yet another Linux-only WM?

I've tried Gnome 3 with ArchLinux last week then I uninstalled it because I don't like the navigation, it's not user-friendly at all. So please forget about gnome3, it's a garb*g* WM

New GNOME sucks anyways. This calls more and more for development of FreeBSD-specific WM/DE.
And systemd. What I really hate, is that damned parallel background service start. Oh lookie, I've got my desktop, but it's still unresponsive and HDD is still crunching. Windows, anyone?

Zare said:
This calls more and more for development of FreeBSD-specific WM/DE.
What for? You want to be like them?
- Here, a <insert type of software> that only runs on MY system.
- Ha! Here's one that only runs on MINE! Take that!
- Think you can beat me? BAM! BANG! BANG! POW!
- SWOOSH! BOOM! BLAM! BOOOOOM!
The end
<credits>

*nix/*nix developers pride itself/themselves with portability. As killasmurf86 said, there are many alternatives. Just pick the one that suits you best and to hell those unportable software.

Zare said:
This calls more and more for development of FreeBSD-specific WM/DE.
I agree with Zare. Folks, it is not about being like them. It is about surviving in the"open source" war which is funded by interests that wish to kill open source.

Why not embrace a specific light weighted WM/DE and fully develop it to function its best under *BSD ?

killasmurf86 said:
there are many alternatives
Which, unfortunately, all seem to be heading the same Linux specific way.

Gnome -> Works now with HAL but will move to udev so no automounting
XFCE -> Works but no automounting because of udev
LXDE -> Works but no automounting because of udev

Should I go on?

Is there a Desktop Environment that supports automounting on FreeBSD without using udev or HAL?

I wouldn't even know where to begin as I'm not a programmer.

I'm happy to test any patches if someone has them though.

SirDice said:
So they're degrading and we shouldn't bother using them anyway. ;)

gkontos said:
I agree with Zare. Folks, it is not about being like them. It is about surviving in the"open source" war which is funded by interests that wish to kill open source.

Why not embrace a specific light weighted WM/DE and fully develop it to function its best under *BSD ?

Thank you very much, you got my intention.
The goal is not to program an unportable environment and pull out the middle finger to all OSS community, goal would be to take any WM/DE and adapt it to specific FreeBSD mechanisms. Like devd.

I mean, someone is surely going to spend a lot of time wrapping around GNOME 3 systemd bulls*it and adapting it to FreeBSD. They are being impolite and unportable. Not us.

And frankly, without automounting, without automatic network management and system notifications, all these shiny DE's like GNOME are functional exactly as any late '90s launcher-tray-windowmanager combination. That eats far less resources.

If I look at the three I mentioned (Gnome, XFCE, LXDE) it seems they all depend on gvfs. Since it's gvfs that's taking care of mounting I'm guessing patching gvfs will actually make it work on all three Desktop Environments.

SirDice said:
Which, unfortunately, all seem to be heading the same Linux specific way.

Should I go on?

Is there a Desktop Environment that supports automounting on FreeBSD without using udev or HAL?

What's with all the automount fan club?

killasmurf86 said:
What's with all the automount fan club?

I think it's a valuable feature to have, especially if we want new users to feel at home.

Sure I can mount stuff by hand but why would I if I can just plug it in and it pops up a nice icon for it?

I'd love to see automount reimplemented gracefully without hal. In the meantime, my meager automount script using devd(8) posted here has been adequate for use with xfce and camera memory cards.

I think FreeBSD developers should concentrate their powers on making FreeBSD system useful and functional. New DE should be last priority. Besides, KDE > Gnome, if that kind of DE is your cup of tea. I tried new Gnome3 (was holding breath while instilling Fedora live CD).
To tell you the truth, I don't see whats the fuss about. In my humble opinion, it blows.

SirDice said:

With a little bit of scripting, you could easily create a system that works with *any* DE/WM/console on FreeBSD. You just need to spend some time playing around in devd.conf(5). Anytime you insert a [USB stick|CD|DVD|etc], devd() is alerted and creates the device nodes. All that's missing is the script to take that notification, do some GEOM tasting, and then mount it to [location].

No HAL required. No udev required. No Linux-isms required.

I leave it up to the reader to figure out what goes into said script, along with all the fame and fortune that comes from writing it. ;)

FreeBSD has all the tools already for media mounting, device detection, auto-this, auto-that. It's just that no one has sat down to meld all the pieces together in such a way that it's easy for the DE/WM/console to use.

phoenix said:
With a little bit of scripting, you could easily create a system that works with *any* DE/WM/console on FreeBSD. You just need to spend some time playing around in devd.conf(5). Anytime you insert a [USB stick|CD|DVD|etc], devd() is alerted and creates the device nodes. All that's missing is the script to take that notification, do some GEOM tasting, and then mount it to [location].
You are right, but the situation is not perfect right now. One particular hang-up with the claim of it working with "any" DE/WM is the difficulty in getting said script interfaced with the UI. How do you create a popup/icon/whatever in a standard way that the user can interact with? Probably all the big name DEs have no such userland API to do this.

aragon said:
How do you create a popup/icon/whatever in a standard way that the user can interact with? Probably all the big name DEs have no such userland API to do this.
How about good old ps | grep PROCESS checking what is running for example, like gnome-session or kdeinit as a start.

We should make it modular and scriptable with a multi-paradigm approach. What other options are there over gtk and qt?

Back