Yahoo! no longer a FreeBSD stronghold?

confirmed

I know some one working for yahoo and he tell me they are realy moving to red hat for some reason , really I prefer google over yahoo , if google used freebsd instead of linux we will see different world case it has power more than yahoo ,, mobile for example android

>for example android

Android is using a home-grown Linux kernel plus a libc and parts of the userland from NetBSD/OpenBSD.

There are still some major players to mention.
In example, the biggest russian search engines "Yandex" and "Rambler" are known for using and supporting FreeBSD on a large scale. Yandex is currently maintaining ftp5 and ftp6 .ru. mirrors of ftp.freebsd.org.
Rambler is also known for it's employee - Igor Sysoev, the author of nginx web proxy engine.

As mentioned getting linux people is easier then getting freebsd folks, aggrivated by the fact that 95% of todays "universities" have been comoditised to produce "instant skilled worker drones" that they teach comp sci courses focused on the hard skills of linux and windows (and a few selected programming languages) rather then soft skills of operating systems and programming languages in general.
(Ask any fresh grad about say Babbage, Turing [tests], even assembly language, . . . <chirp> <chirp> <chirp>)

OIOW today's average uni student can not think outside of a shrink wrapped box.

Another stronghold is lost:
http://blog.hagander.net/archives/167-PostgreSQL-infrastructure-updates.html

The biggest change is that we will be moving our services off FreeBSD, that we use now, onto Debian GNU/Linux. At the same time, we will switch virtualization solution from FreeBSD Jails to KVM. FreeBSD jails have served us very well over time, but now that we have access to a well working KVM product that uses hardware virtualization, the gains of having full virtualization are much easier to get at.

One of the main drivers for the change is that maintaining ports-based installs are just taking way too much time. The new system will be based heavily around using Debian packages and the apt system, to the point that everything being installed will always be done using "meta-packages" that will ensure that all our machines look the same way. This also plugs into our monitoring systems very well, making applying (security) updates across the many machines much easier. In particular, it should get rid of what's sometimes a multi-day operation to get everything security patched, due to dependencies and the slowness of updating ports.

It is quite possible - in fact, I'd say probable - that there are perfectly fine ways of doing this on FreeBSD. But this outlines another big reason for this change - it's simply a lot easier to find people who can do these things on a Linux based system today. Our efforts are entirely volunteer based, and in the end we just don't have people who know enough FreeBSD volunteering to do this work. In fact, we have had several people retire from the sysadmin team over the years specifically because they refuse to work with FreeBSD. We don't expect this change to magically create more volunteers, but it will make it easier to recruit in the future.

... but at least some steps have been done to 'fix' that:
http://ivoras.sharanet.org/blog/tree/2010-04-11.of-ports-and-men.html

@oliverh - That should change, FreeBSD can be a damnsight more cost effective than linux in a production environment and it's a damned sight more stable what we need to do as a community is make more of a effort to get people to use it. I was thinking of passing out a box of FreeBSD CD's to computer science students, move them away from linux and get them skilled with freebsd.

losing battle

it seem like losing battle ,,,,, linux will become a demonate devil like windows , I start to hate this , I will turn to analyst and design then there is no need for unix , installing windows 7 and using case tool ( commercial ) one will solve the proplem so linux can go to **** . if some day I try to just experiment something in os I will do it on minix ,,,,, I used freebsd for 2 year I dont wana see it fall t will be hard to me so hard ,,,, you cant imagine how must I loved it even I forget to use windows ,he was a super servant ,,,, when it start falling I will install openbsd since it realy not populer and dont need mush support to continue as it is or being continuously developed even that im so happy with freebsd as it now

Code:
Copyright (c) 1992-2009 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue Jan  5 16:02:27 UTC 2010
    [email]root@i386-builder.daemonology.net[/email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7100  @ 1.80GHz (1795.52-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6fd  Stepping = 13
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

maybe it's about hardware virtualization with VT which is not supported by freebsd the way it seams to be with linux.
Makes me think tho because jails seems to be a lot less overhead then kvm of xen.

And what about performance of java app servers or oracle. Are there even ora 11 installations on freebsd?
or driver support of some fancy nic .

Matty said:
maybe it's about hardware virtualization with VT which is not supported by freebsd the way it seams to be with linux.
Makes me think tho because jails seems to be a lot less overhead then kvm of xen.
You are confusing Operating System Level Virtualization (Jails) with Hypervisor Type 2 (KVM) and Hypervisor Type 1 (Xen) here mate ... which is comparing apples to oranges.

Yahoo postion

Regarding Yahoo position, maybe they are hiring for the one of the companies/systems they acquired that uses Linux like Flickr etc.

equityspace said:
Yahoo will either get eaten up or absorbed by another company, their days are numbered.

So long as they don't do something completely boneheaded (I won't even speculate) they'll be around for a while. Google.com needs their existence to fend off the inevitable anti-trust suits. Honestly, if I were google.com, I'd be quietly funnelling cash to yahoo right now.

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:05:36
To: src-committers@freebsd.org, svn-src-all@freebsd.org,
svn-src-head@freebsd.org
Subject: svn commit: r207141 - in head: lib/libufs sbin/dumpfs sbin/fsck_ffs
sbin/fsdb sbin/tunefs sys/kern sys/sys sys/ufs/ffs sys/ufs/ufs
usr.sbin/makefs/ffs

Author: jeff
Date: Sat Apr 24 07:05:35 2010
New Revision: 207141
URL: http://svn.freebsd.org/changeset/base/207141

Log:
- Merge soft-updates journaling from projects/suj/head into head. This
brings in support for an optional intent log which eliminates the need
for background fsck on unclean shutdown.

Sponsored by: iXsystems, Yahoo!, and Juniper.
With help from: McKusick and Peter Holm

They're at least "paying the bills" among others ;-)

From the FreeBSD facebook group.

&quot said:
Hey guys - Yahoo! is looking for ROCKSTAR FreeBSD & Linux Production Engineers - location = Sunnyvale/Santa Clara, CA - contact: janelle at yahoo-inc.com

equityspace said:
Yahoo will either get eaten up or absorbed by another company, their days are numbered.

Perhaps Oracle might still have some loose change.

Not completely silly: Oracle could do with a juiced up search platform to keep up in the game keep up with google appliance and Misrable's FAST.

I do not understand the rivalry between BSD and Linux users ,are both unix like and foss ,
and both are excellent.

It's rather easy, Linux users don't like UNIX (in fact the don't like anything apart from Linux) but they try to be UNIX-like. *BSD is a descendant of UNIX and doesn't have to try it.

Twenty Years of Berkeley Unix
From AT&T-Owned to Freely Redistributable:

http://oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/kirkmck.html

and

What, a real UNIX:

http://www.lemis.com/bsdpaper.html

Apart from that I'm using also Slackware since the early 90s, I like it due to the fact that it is more UNIX-like than the rest of the Linux-distros.

(this is not going to turn into a Linux vs FreeBSD thread)

Yeah it's of course not Linux Vs FreeBSD, it's more a lamentation about the possible loss of certain support. Because they choose Linux. But why? Finally _it is_ a versus-thing, at least if you dare to give possible answers. So part of the problem is self-made: too many hypocrites in the FreeBSD community. Whining is okay, as long as you don't start reasoning.

thuglife said:
From the FreeBSD facebook group...

Yeah, I just did a Yahoo hotjobs search after seeing your post. They're definitely scooping up some FreeBSD + Linux (+ Solaris) folks.

I love the SF bay area. ;)

Oko said:
Absolutely NOT! No U.S. company will deploy non-proprietary system without very, very good
reason. Whom are they going to sue if the things do not work as expected?

I bet that there no machine running FreeBSD at this point in Yahoo on U.S. soil. However some
of their overseas server farms might.

Unless somebody stands behind FreeBSD with a development and long term support (iX systems
are too small) the FreeBSD is as much academic/hobby system as any other BSDs.

So DataPipe, INetU, New York Internet don't deploy FreeBSD systems in US soil?
http://news.netcraft.com/ surveys beg to differ.

Anyway, it's not only about technology. It's about future plans, acquisitions, mergings, finding skilled people (linux has plenty), etc...

Yahoo no longer uses FreeBSD

Yahoo has marked FreeBSD as deprecated and they switched most of their systems to RedHat.

Yahoo is a marketing company, they don't care about technology like Google, they only targeting market.

Back