Xorg unresponsive

Johnny2Bad said:
I'm sorry but the above did not install the required man page(s).

That makes it more difficult. In the meantime, all the man pages are online.

What I really need to do according to portmanager is recompile math/alpha with "WITH_STATIC_LIB" selected. How can I uninstall alpha and re-install it so that it gives me the options screen when installing? Or failing that how can I set "WITH_STATIC_LIB" when building alpha?

A lot of things going on here.

There isn't a math/alpha port in the current ports tree.

See ports(7). To change the options on a port, use the config target and then rebuild the port:
# cd /usr/ports/math/alpha
# make config
# make deinstall clean install

Some options aren't in a menu and must be set on the command line:
# cd /usr/ports/math/alpha
# make WITH_STATIC_LIB=yes deinstall clean install

Finally, a lot of people seem to be using portmanager lately; not sure why. It's less used than either ports-mgmt/portmaster or ports-mgmt/portupgrade. Although it may work as well, the options are different and not as well-known.

[Resolved] Xorg unresponsive

I have the gnome desktop running, now I have other issues. However some people might be interested in how I got it to where it is at now.
1. re-installed FreeBSD 8.1 - minimal configuration.
2. use "freebsd-update" to update your install.
3. configured basic networking.
i) As my FreeBSD box acts as a network gateway, configure NAT and firewall.
ii) Secure your system, I had several hackers trying to ssh and email my system during installation.
4. use "portsnap" to update your port collection.
5. because of the problems I had with gnome2-lite, I installed gnome2 first, probably best to keep to the documentation and install xorg first. The complete gnome2 installation took about 12hrs too complete (via ftp)!
6. Install xorg complete.
i) run "Xorg -configure"
7. Install nvidia drivers.
i) had problems with the x11/nvidia-driver port so I installed it directly from NVIDIA.
ii) edit "xorg.conf.new" to adjust for new driver and don't forget "option "AutoAddDevices" "false"".
iii) test your configuration with "xorg ~/xorg.conf.new -retro"
8. Copy "xorg.conf.new" to "/usr/local/etc/X11".
9. edit ".xinitrc" add these lines.
i) "setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
ii) "/usr/local/bin/gnome-session"
10. "startx" and you're there.

Thanks goes to everyone who helped me especially wblock and dutchdaemon who had to put up with my newbie silly questions and posting the most.

Happy FreeBSDing,
Jonathan.

Back