Xorg on Intel G31 and new LCD monitor

Hello.
I've got an old gigabyte ga31m-es2l with integrated G31 graphics chipset and old EIZO 4:3 aspect ratio monitor.
I've decided to replace the old EIZO with newer LG 16:9 monitor.
I thought it will be simple process, but when I connected LG I got "out of range" message on screen.
I'm using Xorg with no configuration file at all (which AFAIK is recommended) +xfce and VESA driver which supports only 640x480 and 1024x768 resolution and only on my old EIZO monitor.
How to make newer LG monitor work without reinstalling entire FreeBSD system?
pciconf -lv gives me '82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller'
Which driver should I use to make this graphics chipset work?

In Xorg.0.log I gost "no screens found"

greetz

Welcome to the FreeBSD forums.

Which version of FreeBSD are you running? The following is valid for 13.1-RELEASE and newer.

For Intel graphics chipsets you need graphics/drm-510-kmod installed and the i915kms module loaded:

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
kld_list="i915kms"

Also make sure your user belongs to the video group.

By default the modesetting driver provided by Xorg is used, but it may not work well with your old chipset. Therefore you can try the intel driver instead:

* install x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel

* create /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/intel.conf (the exact name of the file isn't important, you can name it whatever.conf)
Code:
Section "Device"
 Identifier "intel"
 Driver "intel"
 Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"
EndSection
The intel driver, when installed, is used by default instead of modesetting, but the configuration file is necessary to specify UXA acceleration, the default being SNA, which is meant for Sandy Bridge chipsets and newer.

One thing I'd like to point out: Yeah, this deals with the driver side of things. When it comes to swapping out the actual monitor, all you have to do is pay attention to the cables (both video and power). Video cables have to be compatible (both ends just have to physically fit), and power cables also should be in decent physical shape. The chipset has absolutely nothing to do with the physical monitor.

The video driver creates the signals for the physical plug, puts them on the bus, and is done. Hardware takes care of the rest. That's why you can swap out the monitors on the fly for any OS, no re-install of OS or drivers needed. 😮‍💨

Welcome to the FreeBSD forums.

Which version of FreeBSD are you running? The following is valid for 13.1-RELEASE and newer.

For Intel graphics chipsets you need graphics/drm-510-kmod installed and the i915kms module loaded:

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
kld_list="i915kms"

Also make sure your user belongs to the video group.

By default the modesetting driver provided by Xorg is used, but it may not work well with your old chipset. Therefore you can try the intel driver instead:

* install x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel

* create /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/intel.conf (the exact name of the file isn't important, you can name it whatever.conf)
Code:
Section "Device"
 Identifier "intel"
 Driver "intel"
 Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"
EndSection
The intel driver, when installed, is used by default instead of modesetting, but the configuration file is necessary to specify UXA acceleration, the default being SNA, which is meant for Sandy Bridge chipsets and newer.
Thx for response.
I've change the configuration, but now I have following info in log file:
Code:
[   504.017] (EE) intel: module ABI major version (25) doesn't match the server's version (24)
[   504.017] (EE) Failed to load module "intel" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
[   504.017] (EE) No drivers available.
[   504.017] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[   504.017] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[   504.017] (EE)
Is there any way to downgrade ABI version of intel module driver? I think here is the source of my issue.
FreeBSD version 13.1

intel: module ABI major version (25) doesn't match the server's version (24)
Your installed version of Xorg is out of date, according to this chart you have Xorg 1.20.x installed, while the current version in ports is 21.1.4, which has the expected module ABI version. Upgrade your ports/packages.

Your installed version of Xorg is out of date, according to this chart you have Xorg 1.20.x installed, while the current version in ports is 21.1.4, which has the expected module ABI version. Upgrade your ports/packages.
I saw this chart before.
How to do an upgarde since,
pkg upgrade xorg gives:
c2d# pkg upgrade xorg
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

My xorg version:
xorg-7.7_3

So... you know where the problem is.

If after a pkg upgrade you're still stuck with this version, you probably locked the package for some reason, check with pkg lock -l.

Back