[   358.572]    compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
[   358.572]    Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[   358.572] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  396.24  Wed Apr 25 23:20:56 PDT 2018
[   358.573] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[   358.574] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
[   358.580] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[   358.580]    compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
[   358.580]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[   358.581] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  396.24  Wed Apr 25 23:01:24 PDT 2018
[   358.581] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs

I tried that before but did a second time to be sure. No luck

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

That looks like Xorg should at least attempt to load nvidia_drv.so. Are sure you didn't overlook that part of the Xorg log? Also you should recheck your connection just in case: DisplayPort might not work properly with your gpu+cable+monitor combo (that doesn't appear to be the case since you can see the console, but still), you might have the monitor cable plugged into a motherboard video port (happens to me occasionally), etc.

Make sure to put nvidia_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf and reboot.

Or nvidia-modeset_load="YES" instead (eventually both, don't ask me why).

Also:

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf
Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier     "nVidia Card"
   Driver     "nvidia"
   VendorName     "nVidia Corporation"
   BoardName     "GeForce GT 630"
EndSection

I believe it's the newer driver they will be using so in this case, probably nvidia-modeset_load rather than nivida_load.

I recently in FreeBSD 11.2 RELEASE try install the binary nvidia-driver (previous to the 340.107) and it did not work

The reason is that the old binary needed update to work in 11.2

My solution was make my own updated binary that work with 11.2 in poudriere
x11/nvidia-driver-340

This created the binary package 'nvidia-driver-340-340.107.txz' correct for 11.2

Once the updated binary was installed, I used my xorg.conf

$ freebsd-version
11.2-RELEASE

$ pkg info | grep nvidia-driver
nvidia-driver-340-340.107 NVidia graphics card binary drivers for hardware OpenGL rendering

And use this new xorg.conf

$ cat /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg-Multiple_Display_Devices_on_One_X_Screen.conf

https://pastebin.com/mK5TKdvq

Good luck!

OK I haven't used anything BUT Nvidia cards on FreeBSD for some 12yrs now. FWIW I'll share my experiences in hopes it gets you where you're going. Once I figured out the "quirks" I've never had a problem. :)
Firstly; Nvidia does NOT perform/function well with vt(4). So do the following in loader.conf(5):
Code:
boot_verbose="YES"
kern.vty=sc
linux_load="YES"
nvidia_load="YES"
I added the verbose line for you as well. As dmesg(8) will be more informative. Giving you a better idea of what's going on with your card.
That done. REMOVE/RENAME the file generated by the nvidia-xconfig. This is old-skool, and no longer supported in your version of X11 on your version of FreeBSD. All copies of it. Both the one in your home directory, and, if applicable, in /etc/X11/. Perhaps rename it/them to _xorg.conf_.
Now. After booting with your new loder.conf(5) in place. Your now ready to attempt to load Xorg. Try starting it. By simply running the following command from your home directory:
startx -retro.
This will likely barf. But it will provide you with some necessary information. Namely; the BUS ID your Nvidia card lives in. Something like the following should show up in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Code:
(--) PCI:*(0:0:13:0) 10de:03d0:1462:7309
If this turns out NOT to be the case. That's OK. We can still get that information.
Create the following file, and place it in:
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
Name the file driver-nvidia.conf
Code:
# /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
Section "Device"
    Option    "DRI"    "True"
    Identifier    "Card0"
    Driver        "nvidia"
    #BusID    "PCI:0:2:0:0"
EndSection
NOTE: BusID (commented). You'll need to replace the number with the one you get from Xorg.0.log once you've obtained it. Then UNcopmment that line. :)

That should do it. If not. Post back with any pertinent info, and I can fix it for you.

HTH!

--Chris

I too, ran into the BUSID issue today. I was setting up a new workstation, and though Linux had no problem, FreeBSD wouldn't start X. I took the drive and card and put them in another machine and there was no problem, (similar, but not identical). I wasn't getting any info from Xorg.log, save that no screens were found. Eventually, turned up the debugging,, googled a bit more, and for the first time in 20 years or so, I had to add a busid entry to xorg.conf. (Which I let nvidia-xconfi create.)

In my googling, I found no mention of it as a FreeBSD issue, only in Linux. Not that means anything, after a few hours, I was getting frustrated. :) I also have to say that this is the first time in years that I've had an issue with FreeBSD and NVidia cards, and have no idea why this particular machine didn't get a BusID entry, when it seems (from looking at some other machines) that nvidia-xconfig usually creates it automatically. And, as mentioned, I took the drive and the video card, put them in another machine (before tracking down the BusID issue) and X worked without a problem. So, I guess it is only needed sometimes--I'd never noticed it before--sometimes, startx wouldn't work, so I'd then install and run nvidia-xconfig and then it would work. My guess, now, is that it usually created a BusID entry.

scottro
Until, or unless the Nvidia driver has 1) been installed, and 2) has been properly loaded. The system, and thereby X have no idea what that thing on BusID is. So X dutifully initiates what the system sees as a standard VGA device. Which ultimately (for obvious reasons) fails. Also, given that it's not uncommon for the MB manufacturers to have Video card/chipsets on the MB itself *along* with the (nicer) video card you've chosen as your "daily driver", *and* what with APUS being the "thing" these days. It becomes increasingly hard for X to just "get it right". Without a little help from BusID. Of course. That's no reason not to run 2, or more cards simultaneously. X can do that too. But again. BusID needs to be leveraged. Being forced to use a "blob" doesn't help, either. :rolleyes:

All the best to you, scottro !

--Chris

Thanks Chris, I am aware of that. However, until this one machine, it's never affected me. Either it would work out of the box, once the NVidia driver was installed, or, it wouldn't work, I'd run nvidia-xconfig, and it would then work. I never paid very close attention to the file created. As I said, looking at a couple of machines, apparently, nvidia-xconfig also (usually) adds in the BusID, but didn't on this machine. And, on the other machine where I tried the disk, X started (as it often does, at least for me) without a BusID in the config file. At work, I use multiple monitors, and on my old machine, where I had multiple cards, I see that again, nvidia-xconfig gave me BusIDs for all cards.

Anyway, my only point was that this was the first time a missing BusID was the problem, and it was a simple fix once I figured it out.
Usually, the nvidia-xconfig supplies it.

I should add that there are various ways to find it, but pciconf -lvB|grep -B 1 NVIDIA will give it. (It will show pci0:1:0:1 and you want the last three, the 1:0:1),

scottro
I didn't mean to insinuate you didn't know. Just expanding on the details. In hopes it might help others with the same, or similar (Nvidia) trouble(s)). :)

--Chris

:) I've been married more than once so insults roll off me. Thanks again, I didn't think you were criticizing, but I appreciate you taking the time to clarify.

Does this known bug also apply to nvidia-driver-340? I'm going to install FreeBSD-11.2-RELEASE and I have an NVIDIA GeForce 210, so I have to install nvidia-driver-340. Thanks.

Does this known bug also apply to nvidia-driver-340? I'm going to install FreeBSD-11.2-RELEASE and I have an NVIDIA GeForce 210, so I have to install nvidia-driver-340. Thanks.

Well, while I was waiting for an answer, I installed FreeBSD-11.2-RELEASE, installed nvidia-driver-340 from ports and, to check if the binary package also worked, removed the port with "make deinstall clean" and installed the nvidia-driver-340 binary package with pkg. My surprise was it works, so after reading the comment #10 in Bug 228536 - x11/nvidia-driver: 11.2-BETA3 - fails to operate correctly, I don't understand why after deinstalling the port and installing the binary package it's working.

I own a laptop asus x55vd and give me the same error at startx:
Code:
Fatal server error:
[ 330.574] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[ 330.575] (EE)
I deleted xorg.conf and it goes, but ... is that good?

On modern version of FreeBSD there is no need to configure xorg manually unless you have difficulties. That being said if your sistem works ok without xorg.conf then it's all OK.

Tip:

Video cards, monitors, and input devices are automatically detected and do not require any manual configuration. Do not create xorg.conf or run a -configure step unless automatic configuration fails. - FreeBSD Handbook.

Back