xorg, i810, and VESA, oh my

Simply put, my problem is this: My resolution won't go above 800x600 unless I use the i810 driver, and the i810 driver only puts out extremely garbled video. It makes me think that the vsync and hsync are off, but they are exactly what they should be according to the source I found online, and those values work fine for other drivers.

I know that my card is capable of higher resolution, as Debian and Ubuntu both were able to set it high. I'll attach my xorg.0.log file and xorg.conf, if they'll help, when I can get at them... (I'm on a different computer right now)

I'm sorry if I haven't provided all of the information necessary... I'm not honestly sure what else to add. I'm using the most recent port, as of two days ago, of the xorg meta package, and FreeBSD 7.0.

I installed the intel driver you suggested, and modified xorg.conf, but it still doesn't work. The picture is garbled, in a similar fashion to that seen with i810 drivers.

I've added links to my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log file. (They're not attachments because my unix box has no browser right now, graphical or not) I ran xinit, flipped around the resolutions for a moment (via ctrl+alt+<numpad plus/minus>) and then killed the process. All of the available resolutions, which did include two above 800x600, were garbled.

http://zalethon.freehostia.com/Xorg.0.log
http://zalethon.freehostia.com/xorg.conf

Did you tried running the following commands?
Code:
Xorg -configure
Xorg -config xorg.conf.new
And running startx without /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

ale said:
Did you tried running the following commands?
Code:
Xorg -configure
Xorg -config xorg.conf.new
And running startx without /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

Running as root, Xorg -configure worked fine as far as I could tell, (xorg.conf.new is attached) but Xorg -config xorg.conf.new returned the following error:

X.Org X Server 1.4.0
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE i386
Current Operating System: FreeBSD GIR.domain.invalid 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD
7.0-REL
EASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008
root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/us
r/src/sys/GENERIC i386
Build Date: 26 January 2009 12:55:58AM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jan 29 11:37:39 2009
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
(EE) intel(0): Given bpp (32) is not supported by i810 driver
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Xorg.0.log is attached too. (They are both also at zalethon.freehostia.com if anyone prefers that)

Attachments

• xorg.conf.new.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 330
  • Xorg.0.log.txt
    13.5 KB · Views: 274
Can you try adding DefaultDepth 24 to the Section "Screen".
Put the line before the first SubSection "Display".
If it still doesn't work, try changing the value 24 with 16 and removing the SubSection "Display" which contains Depth 24.

Adding DefaultDepth 24 made it run at least, but it is still a very garbled image. (It is the same with the default depth at 16, with the exception that in that case the resolution still didn't go above 800x600 that I could tell (I admit that it was hard to tell))

I'll attach Xorg.0.log again if it will do any good, though it will be tomorrow morning as right now I am about bankrupt of energy. :/ It may be worth note that when the image is garbled, I only see lines (or nothing at all, just a bright white screen) but the mouse pointer is completely unaffected. I can see that very clearly, and it moves over the top of the lines and such.

Back