Xorg config not held

Hi,

I'm using Xfce4 4.4.3, FreeBSD Stable (~4 Dec.) and Xorg 7.3
I can set the display resolution with the system configuration in Xfce ok. But the next time I start Xfce the resolution I set previously has disappeared. It seems like a resolution is selected which my chipset can't handle - the picture is about 50% smaller than the monitor.

This seems to be a problem with the new Xorg. I didn't see it with version 6.8(?).

Thanks,
fran.

The main problem probably stems from the new "automagic" feature of Xorg to detect and handle any display with auto detection. I'm guessing that you no longer have a xorg.conf file, and the system tries to detect your settings. These do not get piped into any xorg.conf file and are subsequently lost with every reboot.

If you have a previous version of xorg.conf copy it to /etc/X11, or if you are missing the file run the xorgcfg/xorgconfig to generate a xorg.conf file again.

Hi,

I already thought of trying to put the resolutions into xorg.conf
I was used to doing it that with the older versions of xorg. But the new version ignores any mode entries and uses some other method of determining the correct resolutions for the chipset/screen.
I just haven't found any docs on the automagic method yet.

I can see Xfce does its own resolution config by the fact that when I exec xfce4, xorg comes up with one resolution first and then switches to another for the desktop.

Regards,
fran.

You should specify the modelines just as you would have done previously, and then you can use the PreferredMode option in the monitor section of your xorg.conf file. Something like this:

Code:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "ViewSonic"
        Modeline "1280x1024_75.00" 138.75  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1027 1034 1072 -hsync +vsync
        Option   "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_75.00"
EndSection

Back