xorg compile problems

Building x11/xorg doesn't pull in gtk2 or cups, they're simply not a dependency. I don't know how you managed to get them as a dependency.

What's in /etc/make.conf? And post the output of make -C /usr/ports/x11/xorg all-depends-list.

What would be the best way to remove the extracted ports tree and re download with portsnapt fetch would a rm -rf /usr/ports be ok? or would this brake the ability to do a make deinstall in compiled programs after restoring the ports tree from doing a portsnap extract. Thanks
nedry

OK will post the files and output of make -C /usr/ports/x11/xorg all-depends-list I have to go to work now but when I return will look into this
nedry

What would be the best way to remove the extracted ports tree and re download with portsnapt fetch would a rm -rf /usr/ports be ok?
Yes, that might be a good idea. Perhaps your ports tree is corrupt. If you want to start fresh this should do the trick:
Code:
rm -rf /usr/ports # remove the old ports tree
rm -rf /var/db/portsnap/* # remove the downloaded bits
portsnap fetch # fetch a fresh download
portsnap extract # extract a whole new /usr/ports

What's in /etc/make.conf? And post the output of make -C /usr/ports/x11/xorg all-depends-list.

I cant find a /etc/make.conf but i did a make -C /usr/ports/x11/xorg all-depends-list > all-depends.txt

I have attached all-depends.txt

Attachments

• all-depends.txt
    11 KB · Views: 383
Looks like you enabled something on one or more dependencies that pulls in gtk20, not sure what though. Run make -C /usr/ports/x11/xorg rmconfig-recursive to remove all config settings. Start with a default build.

OK good idea, i tried rm -rf /usr/ports and then rm -rf /var/db/portsnap/* and then redid portsnap fetch and then portsnap extract but its still wanting the dependencies. I will try make -C /usr/ports/x11/xorg rmconfig-recursive and then a make install within [port]/usr/ports/x11/xorg[/port] and see what happens.

If you're not completely sure about what are you doing, it's always better to use the default port options.

I agree, I cant remember choosing anything unusual, but its what the dependency loop did that I found rather interesting, It kept looping using up more and more system RAM eventually causing a swapper error. I now know how to reset a port and dependencies to defaults. :)
nedry

I regularly get loops because I like to play around with various settings. Sometimes I find the exact culprit, sometime I don't. If you get weird build errors it's always a good idea to revert to the default settings and work from there.

Yeah, that's probably it. Both GTK3 and GTK2 have CUPS enabled by default. This always causes build loops for me too.

Back