Xorg 7.4 upgrade - report

tangram said:
And what does /var/log/Xorg.0.log say?

i just generated a new xorg.conf.new, it can be found here:

http://pastebin.ca/1397089

the generated Xorg.0.log.old (the 1 which gets generated when running Xorg -configure as root) can be found here:

http://pastebin.ca/1397091

the generated Xorg.0.log when invoking Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new can be found here:

http://pastebin.ca/1397086

After which Xorg process taking up 100% cpu.

Only 2 errors I initially got when generating the xorg.conf.new file were module requirement mismatch for vga and via modules but those errors do not show in the produced Xorg.0.log when this new /root/xorg.conf.new file is passed onto Xorg.

Just to be clear, xorg-server-1.6.0,1 is built without hal and last friday i did a massive 'portupgrade -rRf xorg-7.4_1' (after I rebuilt xorg-server-1.6.0,1 without hal) which completed without errors.

HTH

It appears to be a problem related to the radeon driver.
when I update xorg.conf.new to use the vesa driver as a test, xorg at least starts giving me a blank screen which i can then exit with CTRL+ALT+F1 and kill the current Xorg process.
When I then copy this xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and use startx (which will execute fluxbox-1.1.0.1_5) I get a working keyboard, mouse and a limited fluxbox session (no RandR, clone monitor setup) and the Xorg process behaves normally.
I'm currently upgrading to RELENG_7 to see what that will bring me.

How to upgrade X.org 7.3_2 to 7.4.1?

Dear BSDers, I have tried the following steps to upgrade X.org from version 7.3_2 to 7.4.1. but it seemed failed.

Step 1. Upgrade the ports
# cd /usr/ports
# portsnap fetch extract update
The version of /usr/ports/x11/xorg is 7.4 now. I changed directory to /usr/ports/x11/xorg and input command "make install clean".
The compiling process will be finished in few minutes and showed information in console that the X.org 7.4 had been installed. I could saw the x.org 7.4_1 displayed in the result list of command "pkg_info|grep xorg". But the x.org 7.3_2 was still in the result list.

Step 2. Install NVIDIA drivers from ports
# cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver
# make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-xconfig
# make install clean
After installation completed, I configured the X server with xorgconfig first then nvidia-xconfig to override the X Server configuration file.

Step 3. Restart the server

Step 4. check the X Server
# startx

The system is not blank now with some error message. I have tried to download source code from ftp.x.org for compiling. It was too difficult to solve the dependencies for compiling the components one by one.

I want a clean X.org 7.4 environment. Is my X server upgrading operation correct? Could someone tell me what is the correct approach to upgrade X.org 7.3_2 to &.4.1 if it's not?

The reason I should upgrade the X.org from 7.3_2 to 7.4.1:
Someone told me that the root cause of 4GB memeory problem with the DELL 1420 is not the video card driver, is not the hardware itsself, is not the bug of FreeBSD operating system but the bug of X.org. We can upgrade the Xorg to version 7.4 or above to resolve this kind of problem.

brought to you by the campaign to denigrate smileys

wuqingping said:
I want a clean X.org 7.4 environment. Is my X server upgrading operation correct? Could someone tell me what is the correct approach to upgrade X.org 7.3_2 to &.4.1 if it's not?
Quite.

You would do well to install a package manager, such as ports-mgmt/portupgrade, ports-mgmt/portmaster, or ports-mgmt/portmanager, and then issue # portupgrade -fR xorg (I believe, or portmaster something something, etc etc).

Without installing any package management, you need to first deinstall everything which is outdated and then install the new versions. # pkg_version -vIL= will give you a list of outdated packages. # pkg_delete -fr /var/db/pkg/xorg\*, then one at a time upgrade everything left that is outdated (and good Lord, will you be tired of it: use a package manager), and then # cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make install clean.

edit: Of course, you could always just make a list of everything you have installed, # rm -r /var/db/pkg/* && rm -r /usr/local/* and then install everything again from scratch.

fronclynne said:
Quite.

You would do well to install a package manager, such as ports-mgmt/portupgrade, ports-mgmt/portmaster, or ports-mgmt/portmanager, and then issue # portupgrade -fR xorg (I believe, or portmaster something something, etc etc).

Without installing any package management, you need to first deinstall everything which is outdated and then install the new versions. # pkg_version -vIL= will give you a list of outdated packages. # pkg_delete -fr /var/db/pkg/xorg\*, then one at a time upgrade everything left that is outdated (and good Lord, will you be tired of it: use a package manager), and then # cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make install clean.

edit: Of course, you could always just make a list of everything you have installed, # rm -r /var/db/pkg/* && rm -r /usr/local/* and then install everything again from scratch.
Thank you very much for your reply and great suggestion.

I have installed portupgrade from ports and upgraded the xorg to version 7.4_1 with command "portinstall -vRf xorg-7.4_1".

xorg 7.4 is working perfectly for me. it was giving me issues so i finally tried building it without HAL support and voila. everything works like it should.
after it finished building, i didnt run "Xorg -configure", i just did startx and all is well.

@razrx

Thanks for the notice about radeon, I also have a radeon on my notebook (ati mobility radeon 9200) and only the vesa driver works.

I upgraded all my ports on my laptop last weekend, the system is working fine in console mode, but freezes in ~5 minutes when working in Xorg...

Sigh ... Can anyone remember the good old days when things *just worked* -- This Xorg crap is getting more annoying by the release ...

I give.. I need some help before I go crazy.
I have tried all the suggestions here and can not seem to get my mouse and keyboard working in X.

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
moused_nondefault_enable="NO"
moused_enable="NO"

# enable HALd
dbus_enable="YES"
polkitd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

This is the error that I am getting from /var/log/Xorg*

Code:
beast# tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No input driver matching `mouse'
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module kbd
(II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
(EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No input driver matching `kbd'
(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Keyboard
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)

xorg.conf
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
        Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"

EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dri2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
        BusID       "PCI:2:8:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Card0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth   24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth      24
        Modes      "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Any assistance please.

Are you referring to .fdi files? If so, no.

Code:
beast# ls
10-dockstation.fdi              10-tabletPCs.fdi
10-input-policy.fdi             10-x11-input.fdi
10-laptop-panel-mgmt-policy.fdi 15-storage-luks.fdi
10-mouse-sysmouse.fdi           20-storage-methods.fdi
10-power-mgmt-policy.fdi        30-wol.fdi
10-rfkill-switch.fdi

Thanks a lot for the clue. I installed the drivers no now I have the keyboard working but no mouse. I have an logitech usb mouse. Do I need another driver?
Thanks in advance.

Make sure the mouse works in the console. The device Xorg uses (/dev/sysmouse) is the one that's created by moused.

If you have a PS/2 mouse add this to /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
moused_enable="YES"

USB mice should be detected and moused will be started automatically.

Hi there , i have a problem with xorg after upgrade process.
This is my Xorg log file

Code:
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	compiled for 1.4.0, module version = 1.2.3
	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.0
(EE) module ABI major version (2) doesn't match the server's version (4)
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) Unloading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input//kbd_drv.so
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	compiled for 1.4.0, module version = 1.2.2
	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.0
(EE) module ABI major version (2) doesn't match the server's version (4)
(II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
(II) Unloading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input//kbd_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

hald & dbus has been enabled but i can't type any word in login console or move mouse !.
Question is it normal effect of upgrade of XORG ?
So what i can do ?

Sorry for my poor english

You definitely did not completely upgrade all of Xorg. They keyboard driver is at version 1.3.2 and the mouse driver is at version 1.4.0. In addition, they should both be compiled for 1.6.*, not 1.4.8.

ale said:
BTW, it seems that now DontZap defaults to true.
That means that you can use ctrl+alt+bkspace to kill xorg or, for example, to restart gdm.
I really can't understand the reasons of this stupid setting.
To have it working again, in xorg.conf
Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

I found that I also now need to add:

Code:
Option  "XKbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

to the 'Section "InputDevice"'

for:

Code:
X.Org X Server 1.6.1