~/.xinitrc

My destination is adding the following line to ~/.xinitrc
exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
in order to launch KDE by typing [FONT='Courier New']startx[/FONT] from the command line. So I did this :
Code:
# ee /.xinitrc
which had no line and I added that line. but after
Code:
startx
it doesn't run. This is one of the massages:
Code:
exec: /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde: not found

Did you confirm that startkde exists in that path? You can do the following to locate the correct path (assuming you have done the perquisites in order to run a DE):

# which startkde
or
# whereis startkde
or
# find / -name "startkde"

You can also do (as stated in Chapter 6, section 6.8):

% echo "#!/bin/sh" > ~/.xsession
% echo "exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde" >> ~/.xsession
% chmod +x ~/.xsession

Did you confirm that startkde exists in that path? You can do the following to locate the correct path (assuming you have done the perquisites in order to run a DE):

# which startkde
or
# whereis startkde
or
# find / -name "startkde"

You can also do (as stated in Chapter 6, section 6.8):

% echo "#!/bin/sh" > ~/.xsession
% echo "exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde" >> ~/.xsession
% chmod +x ~/.xsession
Code:
# which startkde 
/usr/local/bin/startkde

You know on second thought, do not use the root account to complete the above tasks. Please make sure you create a normal user account and then create ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession.

The ~ sign is a shorthand for your home folder (/usr/home/<user>, check it with pwd(1)), where you have to create the file. The command you used would create it in the root folder (/) and not be used by Xorg. Take a look at hier(7).

The ~ sign is a shorthand for your home folder (/usr/home/<user>, check it with pwd(1)), where you have to create the file. The command you used would create it in the root folder (/) and not be used by Xorg. Take a look at hier(7).
Did you mean this was the correct command: ee ~/.xinitrc
which I have tried it , with no difference in the result.

Back