Xfce XFCE screensaver locks the X.org

The XFCE screensaver even if disabled, locks all of the X.org after a period of time of inactivity. After the screen is black, only a mouse pointer is visible and a <CTRL><BACKSPACE> combination returns the session to the command prompt where it is possible to start a new session using startx . All of the terminal windows are lost including the web browser window and so on.

I've once fixed this problem but after an update to 12.4-RELEASE-p4 the problem came back. I've seem to have lost how to fix this. It has something to do with the XFCE and X.org screensaver and power saving mode. I've disabled the screensaver from the settings already. The problem still persists. What to do?

best, e

Last edited by a moderator:
An attempt after 28 days.

There were instructions in the Forum to choose "Settings" -> "Session and startup" from the panel and then choose to disable XFCE screensaver. Another location was in "Settings" -> "XFCE screensaver".

I've tried to disable dpms in /etc/X11/xorg.conf :
sh:
Section "Monitor"
        Option       "DPMS" "false"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Option "BlankTime" "0"
        Option "StandbyTime" "0"
        Option "SuspendTime" "0"
        Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

These settings can be set using xset() during runtime.

Some finds from the /var/log/message
Code:
Nov 12 13:35:46 n kernel: drmn0: Failed to load DMC firmware i915/skl_dmc_ver1_27.bin. Disabling runtime power management.
Code:
Nov 10 12:59:49 n dbus-daemon[882]: [system] Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.40" (uid=1000 pid=4103 comm="") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="Get" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.UPower" (uid=0 pid=1209 comm="")
Nov 10 12:59:49 n dbus-daemon[882]: [system] Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.40" (uid=1000 pid=4103 comm="") interface="org.freedesktop.UPower" member="GetDisplayDevice" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.UPower" (uid=0 pid=1209 comm="")
Nov 10 12:59:49 n dbus-daemon[882]: [system] Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.40" (uid=1000 pid=4103 comm="") interface="org.freedesktop.UPower" member="EnumerateDevices" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.UPower" (uid=0 pid=1209 comm="")

The settings did not have any effect. There are a combination of options.

Does anyone know?

e

Any path issues or misname? i915_skl_dmc_ver1_27_bin.ko

drmn0: failed to link firmware kernel module with mapped name: i915_skl_dmc_ver1_27_bin
i915/skl_dmc_ver1_27.bin: could not load firmware image, error 2

Is this a path issue? I've tried copying everything in i915/ and renaming the files to /boot/modules/i915/skl_dmc_ver1_27.bin. This fix did not help.

The installation was:
$ cd /usr/ports/graphics/gpu-firmware-intel-kmod/ $ sudo make package $ cd /usr/ports/graphics/gpu-firmware-intel-kmod/work-skylake/pkg $ sudo pkg add ./gpu-firmware-intel-kmod-skylake-20220511.pkg

# kldload /boot/modules/i915_skl_dmc_ver1_27_bin.ko kldload: an error occurred while loading module /boot/modules/i915_skl_dmc_ver1_27_bin.ko. Please check dmesg(8) for more details. # dmesg ... KLD skl_dmc_ver1_27.bin: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch linker_load_file: /boot/modules/i915/skl_dmc_ver1_27.bin - unsupported file type KLD i915_skl_dmc_ver1_27_bin.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch linker_load_file: /boot/modules/i915_skl_dmc_ver1_27_bin.ko - unsupported file type # uname -a FreeBSD n 12.4-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 12.4-RELEASE-p4 releng/12.4-595be1fc5 N amd64

I have a similar issue. XFCE4 and away from keyboard. Blank screen.

I use this keystroke:
<CTL><ALT><F5> then return to Window <CTL><ALT><F9>

You see F9 Virtual Terminal is defined in /etc/ttys for xorg.
So just cycle to another Virtual Terminal (Not F9) then back to Virtual Terminal F9.

That wakes my laptop.

KLD skl_dmc_ver1_27.bin: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch

I don't work with ports, it's unnecessary for me. I'm guessing you're installing firmware version that isn't compatible with your kernel version.

Check the latest post:

escape, I've had the same issue and fixed it the following way. Make sure:

Xfce Screensaver Preferences - Enable Screensaver is Off, Enable Lock Screen is Off
Xfce Power Manager - Display tab / for both On Battery and Plugged In, Display Power Management is Off

This fixed the lock for me.

12.4-R is close to EOL. I would think about upgrading, installing the firmware, and taking advantage of the full capabilities of the hardware while possible.

Back