xfce fails to start from xdm

Hello,

After following the instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook I'm having trouble getting Xfce4 to start from XDM.

My ~/.xsession:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/startxfce4
Output in ~/.xsession-errors:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
XDM authorization key matches an existing client!xfce4-session: Cannot open display: .
Type 'xfce4-session --help' for usage.
Xfce starts just fine with startx and the same entry in ~/.xinitrc. Both hald and dbus are running. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm pretty sure I'm not running any other X instances.

Nils said:
Hello,

After following the instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook I'm having trouble getting Xfce4 to start from XDM.

My ~/.xsession:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/startxfce4

Output in ~/.xsession-errors:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
XDM authorization key matches an existing client!xfce4-session: Cannot open display: .
Xfce starts just fine with startx and the same entry in ~/.xinitrc. Both hald and dbus are running. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm pretty sure I'm not running any other X instances.

Why are you create ~/.xsession file from scratch?

x11-wm/xfce4-session provides xinitrc script. Just copy it like this:

Code:
cp /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc
ln -sf .xinitrc .xsession

hald is not necessary with Xfce (since 4.8 release).

Note: Some users reported, sometime xdm fails to load session, you can also try x11/slim.

I just followed the instructions from the FreeBSD Handbook. It still doesn't work with the copied xinitrc:
Code:

Nils said:
I just followed the instructions from the FreeBSD Handbook.
It still doesn't work with the copied xinitrc:
Code:

Your error message is well known, bug #8841.

You should replace x11/xdm with x11/slim.

I found this posting about that problem. Now let's see if it works...

edit: Yes, seems to work. Add that line to the XDM configuration and Xfce starts again.

Back