[XFCE] can´t login as root. Only as (standar) user can login.

[XFCE] can´t login as root. Only as (standar) user can login.

fisrt: I newbee in the world of FreeBSD.

Hi!
i install mi freebsd and install xfce4 as a "auto run" desktop.
I folow this steps: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=39839

I have the problem I can not log in as "root", but as a standard user.
I t seems very strange, because when I type "Root" and "password" screen goes black 1 second and back to me for username and password as if Xfce4 is just beginning.

Nose to do since I can not install anything and I am limited medium right now I have to set up standard user accounts.

Someone could help me please?
Very nice from now.
Kisses!

Are you trying to log in as 'root' into X (XFCE)? Don't. Do not. Don't run X as root at any time. Only run X as a regular system user.

Oh, and don't start X as root, or log in to any X session as root.

By the way: don't use root.

You can boot to single user mode, log in as root, and create a normal user for yourself. Make sure you belong to "wheel" group. Then you boot as normal, log in with your user and give the command
Code:
% su
followed by root's password to change to root if you need to do something special.

rokpa92: if you run 'blahblahblah' software and it will be bugged, or any lib it uses will be bugged, there is possible to totally pwn your system. Have you any wish to be one of millions zombie hosts?

DutchDaemon said:
Are you trying to log in as 'root' into X (XFCE)? Don't. Do not. Don't run X as root at any time. Only run X as a regular system user.

Oh, and don't start X as root, or log in to any X session as root.

By the way: don't use root.

but i create the "/.xsession" with
echo "#!/bin/sh" > ~/.xsession
echo "/usr/local/bin/startxfce4" >> ~/.xsession
chmod +x ~/.xsession

But in a stander account, NOT in the root account

I want to start xfce4 in root mode for install port, because in the stndar account give me error (in the terminl put "Failer")

(Sorry for my bad english)

Alt said:
rokpa92: if you run 'blahblahblah' software and it will be bugged, or any lib it uses will be bugged, there is possible to totally pwn your system. Have you any wish to be one of millions zombie hosts?

i install all with "pkg_add -r 'name'"
you say: maybe bug the installation?

When you're in XFCE in a non-root environment (as you should be), just open a terminal (Terminal, xterm) and use 'su - root' in there. Then you can install ports as root, without XFCE itself running as root. That's how it should be done.

DutchDaemon said:
When you're in XFCE in a non-root environment (as you should be), just open a terminal (Terminal, xterm) and use 'su - root' in there. Then you can install ports as root, without XFCE itself running as root. That's how it should be done.

Thanks again!

I'm in school now, just got home I will provide. again thank you very much.
You always save me when nesesito help. ho! great sage!
I hope to have some knowledge that you have some day.
Continue to learn from you wise.

me again ... know? just now I could prove what you said and the truth that I have a problem (yes, even hard to believe one more haha)
The problem qe Cuado want to use the command "su" gives me error. I have tried all these ways.
Code:
 $ su
$ Su - root
$ Su-root
$ Su pkg_add-r opera
$ Su root pkg_add-r opera
$ Su root "password"
$ Sudo root
Root $ sudo pkg_add-r opera
In all cases tells me the same error:
Sorry
Only "sorry" say me :S
How i do bad?

(I got the use of $ his from this page: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?...n=0&manpath=FreeBSD+2.2.5-RELEASE&format=html )

LateNiteTV said:
is your user in the wheel group?

when I install freebsd root account (password: asdzxc) and rokpa account (password: 92)
When creating the account rokpa had an option that said "group" but that does not leave it empty. Nose if that's what you mean.

LateNiteTV said:
and are you sure you have the root passwd correct?

I have the correct root password because I believe it, but at no time ask me, the only thing it says is "sorry" and that was it.

Would show with screen shots but I have neither a web browser or an image editor or anything.

Anyway I thank you answer me, I feel bad for bothering so much with my questions but I do not know what to do, think, and you do not find much (must be because bsd pages are less well known (to me) as the windows or maybe like linux)

if so there is better ...

I would set an example of how to install Firefox (or Opera)

So can I contrived to install "ports-mgmt/bpm ( http://www.freshports.org/ports-mgmt/bpm ) as DutchDaemon once told me when I asked and I answered," I think ports-mgmt/bpm is graphical only. As it integrates with portupgrade, and portupgrade can do package-only installations (PP-flag), maybe bpm can handle package-only installations as well. "

rokpa92 said:
Sudo root
security/sudo is a port/package, i.e. it's not by default in the base system (like su).
When your user belongs to the wheel group, you just type % su and provide root's password. Then you do whatever you have to do with your heightened privileges. When you're done, you type exit to return to your normal user privileges.

rokpa92 said:
when I install freebsd root account (password: asdzxc) and rokpa account (password: 92)
Regardless of any other condition, these are very weak passwords.

rokpa92 said:
When creating the account rokpa had an option that said "group" but that does not leave it empty.
Log in as root (login=root, password=asdzxc), then type # pw group mod wheel -m rokpa.

Thanks to all and if i can help you in anythins, please say me.

thanks a lot!
I can install anything from por now! Thanks!
First i need to create the group as same you say and latter i can login as root in the terminal.

by the way ... a factor to consider when I reinstall.
When creating a user, group name should I put "wheel"? or that was the command?

Another point to clarify:
These user name and password are simple because they are temporary, for now I want to learn all I can do so after a clean installation (and correct) and use the entire hard drive to convert to freebsd as my primary operating system (and unique).

And with that you taught me (more like this: I was taught) and may install it soon (I'm waiting for final version 8 and planned for August 31, 2009).

Only thing is I be wanting to see the issue of ACPI freebsd strip me from the first moment of installation and that neither the board nor the official mailing list acpi I could not find an answer. (If bitten by the bug curiosity, leave the link here and any advice is always welcome: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=6863 )

Only thing is I be wanting to see the issue of ACPI freebsd strip me from the first moment of installation and that neither the board nor the official mailing list acpi I could not find an answer. (If bitten by the bug curiosity, leave the link here and any advice is always welcome:)

By the way .. not how to thank the hard work to help me, if I can help necesital something and be proud to help them. In what might help please tell me (this includes giving explanations and solutions to everything what i know, some advice, going out to distribute leaflets, moving a chair in place, assist with a move or whatever but speaking jajaja! but serious? In all you can be there to help as you did for me).

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

the wheel group is already created. you dont need to reinstall to accomplish adding a user to a new group.
as root, do the following:
Code:
pw usermod yourusername -G wheel

rokpa92 said:
When creating a user, group name should I put "wheel"? or that was the command?
If you want that particular user to be able to "su", yes.
And if you didn't invite the user to the wheel group when you created the user, you may just as well use the "pw" tool.
Two methods to achieve the same result.

Back