XFCE 4.8 is Linux only ?

DutchDaemon said:
It's about feature / architecture / back-end stability (or 'un-changeability' if you like), a stable code base -- stability that programmers can rely on when designing applications and considering back-ends for them.

I remember the days when I used to take this for granted. I believe it was in the Windows 98 days when I thought that my code and software I was currently using would work forever... Then Microsoft started pissing about doing insane things and changing everything :(

FreeBSD itself now seems like one of the only platform that doesn't change too much. Unfortunately the ports collection moves like wild fire. Frankly I am never going to develop a large GTK or Xfce application because I can't be f*£#@d maintaining it when I am forced to update to the latest (usually slightly broken) version.

What is slightly weird is looking at the latest Xfce or Gnome and realizing that the over 10 year old Windows 98 shell is still faster, simpler, better integrated and offers more features :S. (admittedly because it only has to worry about the Windows platform rather than being cross platform)

Change is usually regression in disguise ;)

thuglife said:
You need x11-fm/thunar-vfs for Trash to work.

Is tested before my post. It doesn't work (there is no Trash icon in Thunar, so I guess Trash does not work @ FreeBSD).

update: confirm, xfce 4.8 at FreeBSD its lost mount, wastebasket(named Trash on en_US locale)... support, the exo-mount not available again, only exo-open work continue, today Thunar(file manager) open url by GVFS, so exo* has deprecated..
for more problem via GIO.

Broken or not, why use the "Trash" at all? If you're not sure about some file, leave it be. If you're sure, delete it completely (shift+del / rm).

As a followup to Beastie's comment:

Trashcans are a fairly crude kind of backup, although they do put a pretty face on it.

If you find yourself needing this functionality, you might want to consider looking into the various tools for doing periodic incremental backups. You probably should be doing those backups anyway.

Lol, how did they break the trash functionality?!

Surely it is just a folder where stuff gets moved to rather than deleted.

Or at least it should be :p

Nowerdays it is probably a massively complex background daemon relying on a multitude of random dependencies.[/troll]

kpedersen said:
Nowerdays it is probably a massively complex background daemon relying on a multitude of random dependencies.[/troll]

...random Linux-specific dependencies, no doubt.

Which will be obsoleted at the end of the year by the next new shiny thing.

:p

kpedersen said:
I remember the days when I used to take this for granted. I believe it was in the Windows 98 days when I thought that my code and software I was currently using would work forever... Then Microsoft started pissing about doing insane things and changing everything :(

FreeBSD itself now seems like one of the only platform that doesn't change too much.
Absolutely! In fact, when I first got into developing for the web, I started out using Windows and .NET. What you describe happened to me, costing me time and money, and is what pushed me towards FreeBSD and I've been a happy camper ever since!

arli said:
4.8 at my system:

1, waste basket (Trash) is missing
2, java-swt's project (eclipse 3.4 tested) clipboard don't complete work (must press "copy" 2 time)
3, USB sticks plugin not notify

but shutdown/reboot works, just create some conf file in the
Code:
/usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/
, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce#Xfce_4.8

I think the signal tell us, more features (or compatibility) to be lost at next version. So I give up like 'he' gives up on us.

I'm running 4.8 and have noticed that the shutdown/reboot buttons don't work. I get a "not authorized" error dialog and then it logs me out. HAL is set up properly because I can shutdown as a regular user from the command prompt.

Can you be more specific about the "some conf" that goes in 50-local.d to make the shutdown/reboot buttons work?

Look at /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4-session/pkg-message. It doesn't matter if hal is running, it's not used any more. In fact, you can get rid of it entirely.

Create /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.consolekit.pkla. Read /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4-session/pkg-message and put the modified version of what it shows in that file.

Back