Xfce Xfce 4.14 in 40 days does not arrive at FreeBSD !

Forty days have passed since the new version of Xfce 4.14 and it does not reach the FreeBSD repositories. How neglected is FreeBSD's desktop support?

It did today, and you need to remember that it's volunteer work, often done by really small teams or even individuals in their free time, so if you want to make it less "neglected", help is always welcome.

You misunderstood me, what I'm saying is that actual process looks completely chaotic to me. Whether something would be welcome or not is extremely difficult to predict. Some things are rapidly gaining traction, some are ignored for years and some progress at an unreasonably slow rate even with multiple committers (!) working on them. It's all fascinating to watch, but I'm really afraid for the future of FreeBSD desktop.

When will this end?
I have to agree. 40 days to port this, considering the complexity, is amazing.
Hopefully this was posts language was a gaffe. Neglected is the last thing I would call our Xfce port.
I have been using Xfce for over 4 years and it exceeds my expectations.

Thank to everyone involved. I plan on updating soon.
I don't see what the big deal is anyway. I could have stayed on the same version from years ago. It has always worked well for me.

LOL it took nearly 5 years to update and you guys are complaining about two months of waiting for it to port. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Talk about entitled.
Thanks to everyone involved in the development and the porting of XFCE 4.14. Been using it since 2010 and as always, it just works!:D

Forty days have passed since the new version of Xfce 4.14 and it does not reach the FreeBSD repositories. How neglected is FreeBSD's desktop support?

Xfce 4.14 was ready the day of his release, I posted a screenshot.
Moreover if you read complete log commit, you can see link to its review, we find several bugs (despite we tracked down development and stable releases) which could have prevented smooth update.

Alright, alright ... I am sure it will be in English too.

I look forward to using it. I will wait for it to be in the packages.

teo ports are a community effort. Nobody is being paid to create or maintain ports. It's all done by people volunteering their time and effort to make things work.

How many patches have you submitted?

I do not even see where the updates that where done to XFCE4 are so important that one needs it to be installed immediately after they put it out to the public. I didn't even notice them.

I do not even see where the updates that where done to XFCE4 are so important that one needs it to be installed immediately after they put it out to the public. I didn't even notice them.

Some people are basically iPhone fans. They always want the latest version regardless of features (or often lack of). It is a strange culture that online consumers are indirectly conditioned into.
If you basically patch the source code to increase the version number and nothing else, that would keep them happy.

Some people are basically iPhone fans. They always want the latest version regardless of features (or often lack of). It is a strange culture that online consumers are indirectly conditioned into.
If you basically patch the source code to increase the version number and nothing else, that would keep them happy.
perhaps unknown to most, The versioning numbering system has no set rules or standards set to it, only a lose guild line that one does not even have to adhere to whatsoever.

Forty days have passed since the new version of Xfce 4.14 and it does not reach the FreeBSD repositories.
It's right here: x11-wm/xfce4. It's also available in the latest package repositories. And no, it's not in quarterly repositories, it's not a security update. So you will have to wait until early October, when 2019Q4 is branched off, then it'll be available in the quarterly repositories too.

perhaps unknown to most, The versioning numbering system has no set rules or standards set to it, only a lose guild line that one does not even have to adhere to whatsoever.

I think thats a pretty good idea. Possibly even a hash that is useful for developers (to know which build might exhibit a fault) but to avoid the users obsessive compulsion to have the highest number installed.

Would be funny to fork Gnome 2 and just call it Gnome 4 and see if it can get the userbase back ;)

It's also available in the latest package repositories.

So I have installed 4.14 package.

First impression is it looks quite similar to 4.12. Good, they did not do a gnome with it. It has got this new greybird theme, which is a bit ... grey. So I use my own theme. Few extra things added and a few thing simplified.

And the whole thing came up in English.

I am new to FreeBSD. Coming from Win7 and I absolutely love it. I should have done the move sooner. I have tried and the complexity of Linux put me off. Glad to see FreeBSD chooses simplicity and practicality. Keep on the good work.

Back