xdm simple theme

I wanted to use xdm, instead of console login + startx. Why? because if you have screensaver running someone can hit ctrl+alt+backspace, or ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+c, to gain control to your account without having to guess your password.

To avoid this i installed x11/xdm
By default it looks so bad, that eyes hurt looking at it.
So i made something simple fast and good enough for me.

Here's picture (sorry for poor quality for picture. I made it with my phones build in camera):

xdm.tar.bz2, extract this to /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/

tar -xpf xdm.tar.bz2 -C /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/

it will overwrite Xresources and Xsetup_0, and add wallpaper.png and logo.xpm files.

to have background wallpaper you need fvwm-root, program that comes with x11-wm/fvwm2 or x11-wm/fvwm2-devel.

If you don't have fvwm and don't want to install it, edit Xsetup_0 file, and replace fvwm-root line with app you use to set background.

Hope this will be useful for someone.
As always if you have any questions ask here, i will answer
EDIT:
here's background for this one

The default ugly xdm is perfect for auto adjust of TFTs over an analogue connection. That's why I never made mine pretty.

killasmurf86 said:
I wanted to use xdm, instead of console login + startx. Why? because if you have screensaver running someone can hit ctrl+alt+backspace, or ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+c, to gain control to your account without having to guess your password.

To avoid this i installed x11/xdm
By default it looks so bad, that eyes hurt looking at it.
So i made something simple fast and good enough for me.

Here's picture (sorry for poor quality for picture. I made it with my phones build in camera):

xdm.tar.bz2, extract this to /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/

tar -xpf xdm.tar.bz2 -C /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/

it will overwrite Xresources and Xsetup_0, and add wallpaper.png and logo.xpm files.

to have background wallpaper you need fvwm-root, program that comes with x11-wm/fvwm2 or x11-wm/fvwm2-devel.

If you don't have fvwm and don't want to install it, edit Xsetup_0 file, and replace fvwm-root line with app you use to set background.

Hope this will be useful for someone.
As always if you have any questions ask here, i will answer
EDIT:
here's background for this one

The link is broken, do you still have a theme?

nakal said:
x11/slim might be easier to configure and looks nicer by default.

OMG, I was looking for this all my life :D
BTW, instead of file tags you should use port tags

Back