Solved Xbox make buildworld fails

Hi,

For reasons I won't go into I am installing FreeBSD on an XboX. I used the installer disk which is 6.2-STABLE. I'm trying to bring the system to 10.1-STABLE. I have used subversion as per the Handbook but when I change into /usr/src and run make buildworld I get the following;

Code:
localhost# make buildworld

--------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Building an up-to-date make(1)
--------------------------------------------------------------
"Makefile", line 6: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 77: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
localhost# uname -a
FreeBSD localhost.home.gateway 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #1: Sun Apr 15 09:57:02 UTC 2007  rink@rakata.rink.nu:/usr/obj/home/rink/xbox-installcd/src/sys/XBOX-LIVECD  i386

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've taken a look at UPDATING but cannot find anything

thank you.

T.C

In my /usr/src/Makefile (but this is no XBOX) the lines 6 and 77 are commented out. Please post this two lines , include four or five lines before and after.

Code:
# universe  - Really build everything (buildworld and
Code:
#  7.  `make installworld'

I don't get it. if they are commented out why is there a problem?

You can't skip major versions like that. The only supported upgrade in a single step is to the next higher major version. If you must start with 6.2 you first need to upgrade to 7.4 or 7-STABLE and after that repeat the same procedure with 8.4/8-STABLE, 9.3/9-STABLE and 10-STABLE.

Code:
#
# $FreeBSD$
#
# The user-driven targets are:
#
# universe  - Really build everything (buildworld and
#  all kernels on all architectures).
# tinderbox  - Same as universe, but presents a list of failed build
#  targets and exits with an error if there were any.
# buildworld  - Rebuild *everything*, including glue to help do
#  upgrades.
# installworld

Code:
#  5.  `reboot'  (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `mergemaster' (you may wish to use -i, along with -U or -F).
#  9.  `make delete-old'

You can't skip major versions like that. The only supported upgrade in a single step is to the next higher major version. If you must start with 6.2 you first need to upgrade to 7.4 or 7-STABLE and after that repeat the same procedure with 8.4/8-STABLE, 9.3/9-STABLE and 10-STABLE.

This I actually thought of. But I tried it anyway. Kind of like when your parents tell you not to do something and you do it anyway.

You're probably going to be better off installing new. The partitioning of FreeBSD 6.x is going to be a tad on the small side for 10.x.

Back