x-windows black screen

Hi,

I have installed freebsd 7.2 on my pc and i have configured it.
I have run

# Xorg -config xorg.conf.new

and I have a black screen, but if I run

# Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro

I view regular screen and pointing device moves.

I have added hald_enable="YES" and dbus_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf but I have the same problem.
I have an ATI Rage 128.

Antonix said:
Hi,

I have run

That's expected behaviour now. Xorg doesn't draw anything to the root window (including the pointer) till the first window is displayed unless you use the -retro option.

Adam

Antonix said:
Hi,

I have run

I have added hald_enable="YES" and dbus_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf but I have the same problem.
I have an ATI Rage 128.

That is exactly what should happen.

Now what you want is either a window manager or a complete desktop environment.

It was disappointing that Xorg decided to do this. While I agree that the classic hash pattern tended to induce seizures in the unwary, surely something other than solid black could have been used. A plain black screen gives zero visual cues to the user that the X server has started. How about a light gray screen instead?

It's really bad when combined with with the fact that control+alt+backspace no longer works either. The user is presented with a black screen, and no longer have the option of quitting out the old way. They have to know that they can switch to the original tty and hit control-c to quit.

All around, it was a stupid move.

Adam

Yeah, it's not very clever... The old twm and c-a-backspace combination at least gave a clue that "hey I'm running", now it's like "hmmm... it's borked again".

Back