X.org server fails to start on boot

Greetings lads. My name is Andrei, and I have just installed my first copy of FreeBSD from a live CD that I purchased. To my unfortunate surprise after following the guide to install KDE with FreeBSD I have found that the GUI does not boot.

I have worked with Gentoo, and ArchLinux for 16 years, but since about a week ago I decided to run out and purchase FreeBSD... why not, right? So after installing all the packages including kde4.1.0 and Xorg-7.7 from the package lists. I boot up my system and find that the GUI component still does not show up! After selecting boot for multi user, it loads the preprocessor, and a bunch of dependencies and still takes me to the shell prompt. After entering startx as I would to start any other X.org server, to my surprise it says
Code:
Xorg server was not started: Connection refused
Now I am stuck. While writing this message, I am currently running the portsnap fetch extract command to build the new index files, in hopes of whatever.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I can get the GUI booted up?

Thanks a bunch!

Sincerely,
~ Andrei Xakep

The actual message that I receive after typing startx into the shell is:

Code:
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection Refused
xinit: server error
xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "AndreiXakep:0" in "remove" command
root@AndreiXakep:~ #
It is also important to note that my graphics driver in my laptop is AMD Radeon, with the AMD vision processor, in case that matters for the X.Org installation. Thanks again!

Did you build Xorg using HAL, which is the default? If so did you include the requisite
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
in your /etc/rc.conf?

Did you do a subsequent reboot or start the hald and dbus services manually after installing Xorg?
Code:
# service hald start
# service dbus start

Did you create an xorg.conf.new file and test your X installation by trying:
Code:
# Xorg -config xorg.conf.new

If so what were the results?

Please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log in its entirety.

trh411 said:
Please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log in its entirety.

How would I post the contents of the file? The content is so huge. It appears on my laptop, and I don't have any other OS installed on the system. Would there be any way I could move it over to my portable hard drive? If so, please elaborate. I tried to reboot hald and dbus but it didn't do anything. I'm still getting the same errors. Xorg -config xorg.conf returned errors, this is what it said when I launched the command:

Code:
Current version of pixman: 0.30.0
      Before reporting problems, check [url]http://wiki.x.org[/url]
      to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (- -) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
                    (++) from command line, (! !) notice, (II) informational,
                    (ww) warning, (ee) error, (ni) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" , time: Thu Oct 24 02:29:09 2013
(++) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(II) GPU only supported with KMS, using vesa instead.
(II) GPU only supported with KMS, using vesa instead.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration             (Possibly because I have an AMD Radeon card?)

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information

root@AndreiXakep:/etc #

vxdev said:

How would I copy the whole log file into this post since it is so big I cannot just type it. Is there anyway I can just copy it from my laptop (the FreeBSD machine) to my desktop (what I am accessing this forum from)?

How would I post the contents of the file? The content is so huge. It appears on my laptop, and I don't have any other OS installed on the system. Would there be any way I could move it over to my portable hard drive?

Assuming that you are talking about a USB portable hard drive. I get my USB pendrives mounted with # mount -t msdosfs /dev/da1s1 /mnt. Replacing da1 with the device entry on your system. This will make your hard-drive available to you in the /mnt directory. Then copy any files to there. Remember to unmount the drive when you have finished: # umount /mnt.

If you have problems try these:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mount-unmount.html

$ man mount

Back