www.ghostbsd.org

Hello Eric !
I discover only yesterday your iso and I try it last night.
I think is a very good os,working well on my notebook (HP Compaq nx6310)

I'm waiting for the new release,I'm not a programmer,and I'n new to freeBSD.

I have one question:
why GhostBSD and TrueBSD don't join their effort for create a new Freebsd ubuntu ? :e

Paolo Equimanthorn

Hello Paolo Equimanthorn
Thanks for comment and interesting subjection.
My project is like ubuntu but not finish. I try hard to put time on GhostBSD. but I work, i'm married and I have a death metal band.
I am only one programmer on this team. I try to have help but for now i am alone for this. But if something Like joining TrueBSD to make this project append i gonna do it!!!

Eric Turgeon

Hi Eric thanks for your answer !
I'm a noob ;) after some years using PC-BSD (from 1.0 to 7.0)
My idea to "melt" (I hope is the right word,my english is no perfect) ghostbsd and truebsd born after I see what's happen to desktopbsd and pc-bsd...the first is dying and the second have the programmers totally separated from the users (the forum live only with the help of Terryp.)

I'm also married and working and studiyng chinese and listen old school black metal :e,and I'm not a programmer :\ maybe I can help as a tester on my notebook...

Now I have one question:

If I want to install ghostbsd can I use the freebsd installer(sysinstall ?)

Paolo

Paolo thanks again and you can install FreeBSD with sysinstall but not GhostBSD.
this week i gone try to release a beta only live cd if you wont a software on this beta live cd its time to tell me. GhostBSD its what the customers wont. when I finish the installer i gone release a beta to.

Wow !!! Thanks for this great news !!!
I write to you in the next hours using the email adresse from your signature...I'm at work now :e

Paolo

Thanks

Hello! I have been new in this of FreeBSD, for weeks I could finish installing Xfce4 like my surroundings of escriborio in FreeBSD.
For my, somebody that never salio of Windows was all an odyssey.
I put myself to lower the CD to see as it is.
It has the same compatibility that ubunto but with the centre of freebsd? Not entendi that.
Anyway already I am lowering torrent and calculation that the day after tomorrow was finished lowering (12kbs) and as soon as will prove can it.
That if… when torrents finishes lowering, particionare and subire to some site of direct unloading (it was thinking about mediafire) so that but they can lower it to people at but speed. I hope that you let to me collaborate with that of my part :)

i follow very close your project
Thanks!

Why "ghost"?
Why not something more connected to "gnome" (and even death metal soundish) like leprechaunBSD?

These days, I'd build a live system with zfs. It can be done by implementing a geom kernel module that can read an iso file system, and provide the contents of a file as block device (similar to md), but make it read/write by writing modifications to main memory.

Having this, you can burn every zfs-freebsd installation onto cd or dvd with the following steps:

1. look at your storage utilization with df.
2. create a zpool backed by a file, big enough to hold the desired filesystems.
3. zfs send and receive the filesystems on the new pool.
4. export the new pool and construct an iso image with freebsd boot code, loader, kernel, modules and the file holding the zpool.

to install the system after booting the live cd, the zpool replace command can be used:

1. create a new partition on the hard disk. this can be bigger than the cd/dvd.
2. use zpool replace to copy the pool to the hard disk

now you have a working installation without rebooting. the cd/dvd can be removed.

so obviously, this geom module is what I dream about. maybe geom_ghost?

GHOSTBSD could stand for "Gnome HOSTing BSD" :)
Imho Eric is on the right track: we (users) need FreeBSD with Gnome but only KDE and Xfce is around so we install Gnome on our own and configure it by FAQs... Somebody was destined to appear with his own Gnome FreeBSD distro...thanks God and thank you Eric!
PS. I could help to communicate with TBSD developers.

Zeiz thank to you to answer with real knowledge I dont have to explain the project whit you good answer.

And for my part.

I try to to finish my new live CD base on FreeBSD 8.0. The installer work. But it doesn't install correctly the file i have so mush to fix and i have an other programmer to help me.
He gonna work for wireless manager and help me to do other useful thing. the nest release gonna be GhostBSD 1.0 beta. whit no installer but is coming soon.

Thanks all for support my project.
Eric Turgeon

Back