working for google ...

Hi

Just posting to point out that when anyone is completing the google are you human image recognition, that you are actually working free of charge for google training their image recognition program.

And they really milk it as well, as even when you have completed the images as requested they they then throw up another set, and another, and another... you get it right.

So a message for the forum administrators - please stop this from happening. Its a PITA.

Its annoying because the way they are doing it is quite arrogant and they will almost certainly keep the training data proprietary. However, the only way to stop this kind of thing is no-one use google, avoid services and preferably remain offline.

For most of my work machines nowadays I do remain offline, especially if I run operating systems owned by scummy companies that do this kind of crap. I can't imagine it happening but it would be quite liberating if this kind of behavior did drive people away from being connected. Being offline isn't actually as bad as it sounds for me ;)

Code:
 > host google.com
Host google.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Nice, what steps have you taken for that? I used to put a bunch of google.com addresses into my hosts file until I realized that they were using random hostnames and IP addresses for many of their servers.

Its annoying because the way they are doing it is quite arrogant and they will almost certainly keep the training data proprietary. However, the only way to stop this kind of thing is no-one use google, avoid services and preferably remain offline.

For most of my work machines nowadays I do remain offline, especially if I run operating systems owned by scummy companies that do this kind of crap. I can't imagine it happening but it would be quite liberating if this kind of behavior did drive people away from being connected. Being offline isn't actually as bad as it sounds for me ;)

Offgrid = good. The real test is if you can leave your cellphone home for a day.

Being offline isn't actually as bad as it sounds for me ;)

I cut the cord with my cable TV/Internet provider not long so ago and was offline for almost a year, during which I developed an affinity for talk radio. I was really much more at peace with myself, but will admit it did get pretty boring at times.

Agreed. Google=Evil. Can't avoid them completely, but you can mitigate your exposure through various means. Third party trackers are always lurking where you least expect them. Install the plugin Lightbeam for Firefox (if you run it) and see how many sites you reach hand over your meta-data like a free commodity. They are all linked together. It's sickening but not much you can do but mitigate.

I find such threads interesting when one doesn't mention that Windows checks in with Microsoft on a daily(?) basis and there are far more Windows users.

Back