wlan access point (bridged) with FreeBSD 8?

Is there a howto that explains setting up a bridged wireless access point using FreeBSD 8?

The only bridged howtos I found were for FreeBSD 4 and 5.
Note; yes, I want a proper access point, therefore bridged. Not a router using NAT and whatnot.

tingo said:
Note; yes, I want a proper access point, therefore bridged. Not a router using NAT and whatnot.

Why would you use NAT to route traffic from one internal network to another?

mickey said:
Why would you use NAT to route traffic from one internal network to another?

I would not :) However, the highest ranking "FreeBSD wireless access point" articles in Google results were in fact for a nat router setup with wireless. Which is NOT what I want. So I found it best to make that clear in my post here.

tingo said:
I would not :) However, the highest ranking "FreeBSD wireless access point" articles in Google results were in fact for a nat router setup with wireless. Which is NOT what I want. So I found it best to make that clear in my post here.

And I guess none of these articles instructs you to perform NAT when routing traffic between your WLAN and your LAN ;)

So letting aside NAT, let me reformulate my question: Why do you want to bridge traffic between your WLAN and your LAN instead of routing it?

Is it the routing part that bothers you, or the NAT part?

Last I heard bridging a wireless nic is somewhat problematic. But you can always use 2 network segments and route between them.

SirDice said:
Last I heard bridging a wireless nic is somewhat problematic.
Interesting. Links to more information?

But you can always use 2 network segments and route between them.

As I have said earlier: I do not want to use routing in this case.
I just want an extra wireless access point for my network. If possible, using FreeBSD. If not, I'll find another way.

Back