Solved With CentOS dead, what does this mean for the Linux compatibility layer?

Looking at the FreeBSD ports website, it appears the "c7" in all the linux compat layer deps stands for CentOS 7 which is where they derive or originate from.

What does this mean for the future of Linux compatibility support? Will someone take the time to migrate all those deps from a different distro and rename them as well?

CentOS is only sort of dead. (Monty Python and Holy Grail voice) "I'm not dead!" For the purposes of a Linux compatibility layer, CentOS-8-stream will probably work. I would guess that whoever works on the C7 stuff will change to C8. There are also various equivalents to CentOS that are emerging. Some are here already, some are coming soon. In addition, RedHat is making their RHEL8x Linux free up to a certain point, though I'm not sure of the licensing there and don't know if it could be used. I don't anticipate it being a problem, and, in addtion, there are a lot articles (including on these forums), about using Debian or Ubuntu instead of C7.

marked as solved. Thanks guys! I think for consistency, sticking with a similar or derived distro would be best like already mentioned. However, if Ubuntu were adopted instead, that would be the next best thing as its the most popular among linux distros.

As I know with CURRENT they already provide a way to use Ubuntu as the base for the compatible layer.

I had some VM in C7 was a little mad about the changes but hey IBM probably had its hand in it and isn't Fedora RPM base so I doubt these Linux distro types will die... Having said that, I am now planning to just go all BSD, all I have left after C7 are a few Ubuntu VM, it's just too much drama up there in Linux World, so for me I think Linux compatibility= losing users...

Back