Wine 5.0.2

I upgraded my system to freebsd 12.1 and installed gnome, OpenOffice, and Wine 5.o.2 . Open office showed up on desktop put I can not get wine to show up. Any help would be welcomed.
Carlo,

Wine is a command line only application and will not show on a desktop environment. You must run wine from the command line to execute windows applications.

You might find that as you install applications in Wine, that they add icons to the desktop and menus (Wine adapts the WIndows style start menu and desktop icons to appear this way).

For now, run something like wine explorer from the command prompt and double click on some .exe installers. You might be able to double click .exes using Gnome or KDE but these are typically a little broken.

I forgot about that - I always found those icons wine adds to be tremendously annoying so I delete all the mime types for them and they don't show up. I never use them anyway, only used wine to run the occasional game.

Luckily i am not affected by the icons or menus (my DE simply doesn't support them) but boy those mimetype associations are annoying. I have a system where PDF somehow got associated with Internet Explorer... It's not like i don't have 2 native PDF readers but no, the default one obviously has to be Internet Explorer (which i think can't even handle them)...

Luckily i am not affected by the icons or menus (my DE simply doesn't support them) but boy those mimetype associations are annoying. I have a system where PDF somehow got associated with Internet Explorer... It's not like i don't have 2 native PDF readers but no, the default one obviously has to be Internet Explorer (which i think can't even handle them)...
This is the reason emulators/playonbsd is handy. Do not ever create a global wine prefix but always use playonbsd. Install each software into their own wine prefix. Easy peasy.

This is the reason emulators/playonbsd is handy. Do not ever create a global wine prefix but always use playonbsd. Install each software into their own wine prefix. Easy peasy.

Hmm, i almost would have argued that using custom prefixes doesn't solve this as that's what i am doing anyways but then i have infact a default prefix also which i use for random stuff (admittedly that being most of my wine use). I'll see if avoiding to use the default prefix will fix this as i am not really interested in running wrappers on top of wine but thanks for the suggestion.

Back