WindowMaker

Thought I should start a thread for discussion of the WindowMaker desktop. I just love the speed and minimalism of it and I think it works great with FreeBsd. Anyone got some nice themes or apps that works great with it?

There is a post on the windowmaker.info website that they have been started working on it again and will also remake the website, sounds lovely :)

Is it possible to install snapshots? I have never understood how you do that. Can I install a snapshot release while still having the windowmaker from portstree and be able to switch between them?

DemoDoG said:
Anyone got some nice themes or apps that works great with it?

I've got (a) handy-dandy dock application(s). :)

http://themes.freshmeat.net and a search for WindowMaker will return some themes. Also a quick Google search.

Dock applications can be found in the ports system (the time dock application is located in /usr/ports/x11-clocks/wmtime/). There are some others that monitor weather, servers, chess games, CPU usage, etc.

Here is a picture:

d8hbteqyfw7lcoxjbbn2.png

Sorry for large image (can't edit it now). :|

Here's a current screenshot..

and the same one you saw above in thumbnail..

IS there some way of using icons from gnome in windowmaker? Gnome uses svn i guess and I cant use them icons. I think thats what need so be fixed in windowmaker or is there some way of doing it?

Whatever happened to dockapps.org? Seems to have disappeared, I heard somewhere that it should be implemented in windowmaker somehow. Anyone got another site where neweer (later than 2006 :) ) dockapps are represented?

Does anybody know what happened to wmmount app? It seems it can't be configured with it's menu that used to pop-up after right click on the app icon.

Is it possible to disable WM_SIZE_HINTS (aka resize hints) per app or completely in x11-wm/windowmaker?
(Maybe it is posible to disable it with help from some different apps?)
For example, in x11-wm/fvwm2 it can be done via
Code:
Style * ResizeHintOverride
in ~/.fvwm2rc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to disable WM_SIZE_HINTS (aka resize hints) per app or completely in x11-wm/windowmaker?
(Maybe it is posible to disable it with help from some different apps?)
For example, in x11-wm/fvwm2 it can be done via
Code:
Style * ResizeHintOverride
in ~/.fvwm2rc.

If you're talking about the lines with numbers that show the pixel size of a window when you resize it, as if they were dimensions on an engineering drawing, you can do that from "Configure Window Maker" found on the menu and the dock. Once you have that open, it's the 5th button from the left. Under Size Display: change from "Technical drawing-like" to "Disabled". Save before you close. That will do it for all windows.

Love windowmaker, and nice to know the dev is ramping up again! I have written several dockapps for it for my own use, running on a customised version of libdockapp (had to tweak the event handling a bit). It's the best combination of lightweight and good looks.

Back